General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Andy Murray

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Madge

Madge Report 13 Jan 2019 10:45

I am not a fan but I have friends on FB who are. One has left a reply to him on his FB page. On Friday he post a selfie with him and Judy having a cuddle with this message.

" Best way to feel better after a tough day is a big cuddle from your mum ??
Genuinely been very touched by all of the messages and support from everybody today... It means a lot and has made me feel much more positive than when I woke this morning??Thank you so much. ?? "

Just thought as there was so much interest on him on here, for those that do not do FB. :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 13 Jan 2019 15:10

OMG cuddles with mummy rather than wifey.....yeah mummy boy....even cuddles with kids should overtake mummy cuddles at his age!!

Madge

Madge Report 13 Jan 2019 15:20

Makes yer wonder dunit ;-)

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 13 Jan 2019 17:16

Rich bloke can no longer play tennis due to injury. Is this really world shattering news?

Caroline

Caroline Report 13 Jan 2019 17:29

To some it is it seems.......

Madge

Madge Report 13 Jan 2019 18:41

I know Bob, its not like he will starve is it, he may not be Mummies little favorite anymore and he knows it :-0 :-0

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 13 Jan 2019 19:31

Bet he doesn't even pay income tax in the UK ;-)

That photo was in oru newspapers, and British papers online .......... If I were Kim, I'd slap him one round the chops.

That is ................ are they still together???? There has been no mention of her in any of his utterings :-S

Madge

Madge Report 13 Jan 2019 20:32

I cant say I know Sylvia I do not like so certainly have no time to hear what he mutters :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 13 Jan 2019 21:34

Nor do I have the time or inclination, but it just suddenly struck me that there has been no mention of her in the last few days ..... just cuddling up to "mummy"

weird, when you think about it!

Madge

Madge Report 13 Jan 2019 21:45

and I bet I pay more taxes than him :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 13 Jan 2019 23:52

I bet you do!!

I wouldn't mind betting that he pays £0, or very close to it ;-)

Kense

Kense Report 14 Jan 2019 10:09

Andy Murray has refused to become a tax exile, therefore he doesn't pay anything like zero tax.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 14 Jan 2019 17:41

Ken ..... if true, then that is one mark in his favour.

But he would be incredibly unusual in his world, and that of many so-called celebrities if he does not have accountants taking every advantage of every rule to allow reduction in taxes, and in having overseas accounts.

Incidentally, becoming a tax exile means that you move out of your home country to live in another where you pay no or much lower taxes.

It does NOT mean that you stay in your home country while investing much of your money on off-shore bank accounts ............ the Caribbean islands have some of the most favoured banks used by tennis professionals at the moment, or so I have read ................. or that you do not take advantage of every opportunity to reduce your tax bill to as low as possible, even to 0.

Barbra

Barbra Report 14 Jan 2019 18:21

How many people live in tax exile this is just a character assassination against Andy Murray .whatever you think is right or wrong he brought a lot of money to tourniments .matches & he deserves respect still don't like his Mum .she was in Australia. With his brother .no sign of his wife as Andy played his last game Sad

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 14 Jan 2019 18:53

English taxes are not too bad especially if you earn a good wedge. They are wickedly severe on those whose incomes are below £ 40 K yet most of the population does not seem to have cottoned on.

The rules of becoming an ex pat for tax purposes have changed a lot and are connected to the peculiarly English tax notion of domicile. The tax savings v the general faffing around to comply are such that it is a somewhat oh so 80s way of tax planning. Moreover in England the tax people have much greater power than 20 years ago so upsetting them is not a good strategy esp if you are a UK citizen.

Without being on thin ice it is perfectly possible for high paid sports people such as Murray to keep the tax take of their income down to something affordable without fear of nasty letters from the fiscal.

Despite what Sylvia thinks this suits the many well off people who do not wish to screw their own country. Indeed large scale charity is popular which cannot be done with a dodgy tax file.

She is correct though that you need a decent accountant, not because tax planning is especially tricky, but you have to keep on top of a lot of paperwork and ever changing rules and regulations. There are not enough hours in the day...

OTOH some well known footballers and media stars have come badly unstuck on tax avoidance schemes based on never to be made movies. Yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice (Dickens).

The leading fiscal crooks in the UK are nearly all based in London with links to Russia/Cyprus, the Baltics, Serbia and China and the BOT such as Bermuda. HMG has just announced yet another campaign against these people but the funding is wholly inadequate and other parts of govt are afraid of upsetting the apple cart.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 14 Jan 2019 19:29

an interesting dissertation from RTR explaining the tax system in GB

I do know about what I speak though.

We have used accountants for many years, including before we left the UK when we had less than £50 left after paying debts. Even then, he saved more money for us than we paid in fees.

............... and I most certainly know about donations, and how very wealthy people can lever donations into paying no tax at all. In fact, paying very large donations often results in a tax credit whereby the donor gets more back that s/he paid to the charity. That huge donation looks good to the fans though, doesn't it! :-D

I too read financial columns, books and discuss with a financial advisor ;-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 14 Jan 2019 19:34

Barbra ............

not a character assassination unless you are so blind to his bad parts.

he surely brought a lot of money to tournaments and everywhere he appeared .......... but he was often paid far more in appearance money. You don't think he appeared at charity events, played in tournaments, etc for nothing, do you?

I don't blame him for that ..... everyone is doing it, so why shouldn't he.

I just do not like him, and TBH don't trust him or his mum ..... everything she does is self-serving, from training her children to be high level tennis players despite a major inherited hip problem, to making money out of them by getting paid for all those "celebrity" appearances she's made