General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tracing where baby is buried

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gary

Gary Report 22 Dec 2018 20:03

This might be a long shot but wondered if anyone knows how I would find out something in 1957 my mum had a baby that died after a few hours and was buried in with an old lady which is what they seemed to do then my mum really would like to find out where her baby is buried we know which cemetery but not who he was buried with is there a way of finding out many thanks Dawn

Caroline

Caroline Report 22 Dec 2018 20:06

Have you spoken to whoever runs the cemetery maybe their records might be able to help?

Barbra

Barbra Report 22 Dec 2018 20:55

I found my sister who only lived three days in 1955 The cemetery buried them under a Big Oak Tree now her name is on a Memorial were new born & other babies are remembered so I am pretty sure they will.have records of your Sister. Depends if she had a name lots of luck hope you can.get info.for your Mum

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 22 Dec 2018 20:59

If it's a cemetery then the local council cemeteries department should be able to check their records for you. If it was a churchyard then the church sexton should have records. Failing that you could check with any local funeral directors who were in business at the time as they should also keep records.

My husband's baby brother died in 1946 and was buried in the coffin of a two year old girl being buried on the same day. We found out the girl's name from the church sexton's records - even though the churchyard has since closed, the records were kept by another church in the same area.

Kath. x

Dame*Shelly*(

Dame*Shelly*("\(*o*)/") Report 22 Dec 2018 22:18

if the cemetery have an office in the grounds and you no the all the date
of birth death and burrial thay can then look in there books for you but thay may charge a fee

if thay dont have an office in the cemetery ground you may have to contake the counil like we had to for my husban sister that diead in 1955
thay was very helpfull thay gave us a map of the plot as well to help us find here
although thay told us that we can not berry no one with her thay gave us pemishion to put a head stone on her unmarke grave

Gary

Gary Report 8 Jan 2019 07:39

Thanks to the suggestions from people on here I have found where my mums baby is buried the cemetery have emailed me a map of the cemetery but it says the baby is in a public grave what does that mean.x

Allan

Allan Report 8 Jan 2019 07:50

Gary, others on here will have more knowledge than I do, but I think that a public grave is the same as a common grave which is where several unrelated people may have been buried.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 8 Jan 2019 08:13

You have asked this again on another thread and I have replied

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/general_chat/thread/1375212

Iris

Iris Report 14 Jan 2019 19:17

may I ask would the advice given here be the same for a stillborn child ?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 14 Jan 2019 21:46

Iris - it depends on how long ago the stillbirth was. Just last October I was at a funeral with one of my cousins and she happened to say that she thought her mother's first baby (a stillbirth) might be buried in the same cemetery but that her mother, who has now passed away, had never known where exactly the baby was buried. The next day I went into the cemetery office and asked about the baby as my cousin knew the year the baby was born. All they had to do was look in the burial register for that year and found the details. They told me the date the baby was delivered and that the burial was 10 days later with 3 other stillbirths in the same plot. There was no marker on the grave but they gave me a map with the plot marked and also gave me the name on the nearest plot with a headstone so we could work out exactly where the baby was buried. The babies were buried on the north, south, east and west sides of the plot and they told me that the baby in question was buried on the east side of the plot. We never expected to get so much detail. It's just such a shame that the baby's mother died without ever knowing this information, even though she visited the town regularly. This stillbirth was in 1939.

Kath. x

Iris

Iris Report 17 Jan 2019 19:56

thank you Kath, my sister was born about that time, i have got her cert somewhere among my papers ,I will look it out . :-)