Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Who'd have thought of that?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kuros

Kuros Report 2 Apr 2024 15:46

I've spent days looking for the death of a great-grandfather on the GRO to get a digital image but he wasn't there. I'd found him on Ancestry so I had the volume and page numbers. I also have his burial record so knew the place, quarter and year of his death. I started changing things and leaving things out in a desperate attempt to find him. The last thing I did was change male to female and there he was! A female William! I now have the image and another puzzle. He died in the police station.

Annie

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 2 Apr 2024 16:06

Quite a number of gender-swap entries on the GRO...........I report them when I come across them

Kuros

Kuros Report 2 Apr 2024 17:03

I haven't come across this before. I didn't know you could report them. I'll do that in case someone else is as frustrated as I was.

Annie

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Apr 2024 08:07

I recently wanted the download of a birth image and it all went through for the digital image ti be a totally different birth and family

Tried it twice and got it again the second time so wasted £5

Couldn’t see where I could report it to the gro

Very frustrating as was helping on the BHC site for info on a members grt grandmother

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 3 Apr 2024 08:24

Reporting things to GRO:

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/indexes_report.asp

or:
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/contact_us.asp

safc

safc Report 4 Apr 2024 01:12

my great grandfather was born in 1873 in south shields i have his birth certificate and it says it says a girl. on the gro it says he is a female.

when he died in sunderland 1944 on free bdm he is registered as margaret m cottrell

on the gro he is correctly registered as magnus manson cottrell 1944
so mistakes do happen