Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finding information re children homes

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alan

Alan Report 29 Mar 2024 20:36

Hi, does anyone know where I can find information about my and my sisters time in 2 children's homes in Lincolnshire from 1954 to1959.

The first home was at 56 Huntingtower Road, Grantham.
We were there for approximately a year, and then transferred to a new home at Brant Broughton, till 1959.

I have tried Kesteven Council and they referred me to Lincolnshire County Council, who I'm afraid were very vague in just saying they don't have any records and referred us to Lincoln Archives.

I am waiting for a response from the Archives.

Any help would be appreciated.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 29 Mar 2024 20:54

I would think all you can do is wait for the response

Your own memories are probably the most reliable info

Or google………I just have

A bit later than your time there...................

Date:1961 - 1963 (c.)

Description:In the early 1960s, there were significant increases in the number of children coming into care in Birmingham. Despite the new family group homes, the city felt that it still had insufficient children’s homes.

The search for new children’s homes went farther afield.

In February 1961, the Council took over from Kesteven County Council use of a former children’s home on Huntingtower Road, Grantham, around 70 miles from Birmingham.

The home was used to accommodate up to 16 children – intermediate cases – whose stay at the home was likely to be between 12 and 18 months.

This was by no means the first, or the only time, that Birmingham children were placed in residential care away from the city. In the 1920s, for example, when there was overcrowding in the cottage homes of Shenley, Marston Green and Erdington, children were sent to Wavertree Cottage Homes in Liverpool.

In July 1963, because more of the new family group homes had been opened in Birmingham, the Grantham arrangement was stopped and the remaining children were brought back to Birmingham.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 29 Mar 2024 23:21

Re records of Huntingtower Road and Brant Broughton:

https://www.childrenshomes.org.uk/KestevenCC/