Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth certificate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 25 Mar 2024 18:13

Hello
How or where can I order someone elses birth certificate without the day or month being known.
Thank you

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 25 Mar 2024 18:58

It depends on how long ago the birth was.

You haven't said when or in what country the birth was. I assume you mean somewhere in Britain.

Older certs can be ordered just by quoting the registration reference details.
You don't need the DOB for them.

If the birth was registered in England or Wales, order on the GRO site:
https://www.gro.gov.uk

If in Scotland, order on Scotlands People:
https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

However, more recent births do need you to state the DOB on the online application form.
You can try contacting the registrar for the place where the birth was registered. They may perhaps allow you to order over the phone, without knowing the DOB - or may tell you the date so that you can order online.
That happened to me recently when I wanted to order a 2023 death cert in Scotland. I didn't know the date of death, but had all the other details, so the registrar told me the date of death.

Good luck!

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Mar 2024 09:17

From the GRO website

If you are not aware of the required information and therefore cannot complete the required criteria you can telephone the Certificate Services Call Centre on +44 (0)300 123 1837 to place your order or write to Certificate Services at PO Box 2, Southport, Merseyside, PR8 2JD.

For births less than 50 years ago, you need:

Surname at birth *
Forename(s) *
Date of birth (dd/mm/yyyy)*
Place of birth *
Father/Parent surname *
Father/Parent forename(s) *
Mother's maiden surname *
Mother's surname at time of the birth
Mother's forename(s) *

PDF copies of the entry are only available for the digitised entries for the years 1837-1923 and where a GRO reference is supplied, which you can find using the GRO Online Historical Indexes.

The above are cheaper than a paper cert