Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adding step children on a branch

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 17 Mar 2024 13:13

I have a marriage where there were several children. The husband died young and the woman remarried a ancestor of mine. They went on to have 6 more children.

When I'm showing the branch of this tree, should I include the children born from the first marriage? They will have no actual bloodline!

Florence in the hebrides

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 17 Mar 2024 13:20

I'm afraid that's a personal decision for you, Florence - there's no "rule" about it.

Some people stick strictly to blood relatives only.
Others put in as much detail as possible.

Are the people who may see the tree in years to come going to be interested in step-relatives or not?
Only you can guess at that.

Personally, I tend to put all that sort of thing in my tree - and then find myself researching the step-relatives' ancestors just for the fun of it, even though they're not related to me at all!

Florence61

Florence61 Report 17 Mar 2024 13:27

Ty AG, I've only realised after researching 3 of the step children and their families that they are not blood related!!!( silly me lol)

So I stopped as didn't want to waste time if it wasn't necessary but now you have said it's down to personal choice, maybe I shall carry on and leave all of them on the branch. It is family history after all.

Ty

Florence in the hebrides

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 17 Mar 2024 14:28

By definition, step-children are not blood-related.

I had a stepmother. None of her relations have any blood connection to me, but I knew many of them and was fond of them, so they are in my tree.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 17 Mar 2024 14:46

I guess we call them "extended family," As you say EikaH, if you know them and are fond of them, then include them so I have.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 17 Mar 2024 15:19

They may not show up on a tree depending on what you are using. Obviously they will on a hand drawn tree but quite probably not on a generated program tree,

Florence61

Florence61 Report 17 Mar 2024 17:55

names, this tree is not online. Its all hand drawn by me.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 17 Mar 2024 19:59

I haven’t got good enough handwriting for that - nor the patience :-\

BrianW

BrianW Report 31 Mar 2024 20:03

I don't know if the genealogy program you are using will allow it (I use a very old version of PAF on my computer at home which does), which enables me to show any number of marriages or illegitimate liaisons for an individual and to simply add the children to those unions.

I don't think the GR tree program will facilitate that, though, which is why I only use the GR tree for blood relations. But as your tree is not on computer, if you wish you can simply show the other husband attached to the wife on (say) her left side and your related husband on her right side.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 31 Mar 2024 21:09

The GR tree can cope with as many marriages as any other