Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Duplicate person

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maureen

Maureen Report 14 Feb 2024 19:29

I have made a mistake on my tree by adding my name to my mother’s name along with all my family. I have then added her as a separate person and attached my siblings and their families to her other person. Can I not combine the two people without removing all that is entered?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 14 Feb 2024 22:23

"How do I change the parents of someone in my tree?

If you've made a mistake and added someone to the wrong parents and the correct parents are already entered in your tree, you can now amend this yourself.

Once you've located the right relation, click on the 'edit' tab below their name or on the little tab with two arrows in it on the top right hand side of the tree page to open the details box. Scroll down the details box on the right hand side of the page to the Relationships section. Click on the 'Change' tab beside one of the incorrect parents and a 'Find an existing relation' search box will appear. Start typing the name of the correct parent and it will appear below the search box. Click on the correct name and then on 'Save' to save the changes. Repeat the process for the other parent, again saving the changes."
https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/help/faqs?key=363

Repeating that in other words:

Go to whichever entry for your mother is linked to yours.
Make some change to it, so as to distinguish it from the other entry. For instance, add some symbol to her name.

Then go to the slide-out details panel for your own entry.
You'll see your mother's name listed under "Relationships".
Click on "Change".
Click "Find existing".
Enter your mother's name as it is in the entry for your siblings' mother.
If more than one name comes up, select the correct one.
Click "Save".

You will then all be linked to the same mother.
You should be able to then delete the "other" mother's entry.

If that doesn't work, email
[email protected]

They may take up to a week to reply.