Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help with the family tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul

Paul Report 16 Nov 2023 07:51

Hi Everyone,
I am going around in circles with my research.
Trying to research on the cheap, have only payed for three records which proved fruitful.
I have just subscribed to my heritage full membership for the second time in the last 5 years.
Last week end find my past was free so i thought I would take advantage of it.
I have downloaded gedcom and hints to computer, which I will have to sus out any relevance.
I have 2 accounts on family search different names, and have been adding a lot of information which is more than likely wrong. This is because I have had 2 different accounts. The second one was trying to correct the first one but to no avail.
I have just started from scratch on my heritage site trying to assign resources to each individual, which is a task in itself.
I am trying to record all the family tree information on computer just in case internet goes down, a lot of folders.
I have just created a new tree on my heritage website from scratch.
The hints I get I will consider but not from family search because they probably came from me.
Finally, if I am not boring you all could you tell me if citations are included in a gedcom download program or is it just the major genealogy sites like find my past etc.
Paul Lockley

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 16 Nov 2023 08:58

Do you have a local FHS or group which you could join? Depending on your age and employment status, most U3A’s run such groups

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 16 Nov 2023 09:40

I don’t know about the gedcom com download but if you are in the UK you may find that your local library service has free access to Ancestry and/ or possibly FindMy Past.

There are free sites you can use, such as Family Search and freebmd, free reg, freecen. Some places have an OPC ( online parish clerk) and it is always worth looking at the Genuki page for wherever your family is based.

Finally, always keep an up to date copy of your tree on your own computer.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 16 Nov 2023 15:24

LancsBMD is Free as is GlosBMD. Doubtless other counties offer a similar service

Many counties have OPC’s’ which provide free info

The GRO site is free and has MMN on births pre-1911 plus deaths up to 2021

What do you define as a ‘citation’?

Can’t comment about myheritage as I have no experience of it, nor do I know anyone who has

What is the reason for your post? Are you looking for research help? Or merely technical/operating help?

greyghost

greyghost Report 16 Nov 2023 18:40

Welcome to the boards Paul.

If you want any help, post on here, starting with what you know to be true, giving as much info as you can and the helpers on here will be only too pleased to see what they can come up with - and hopefully attach a link to the websites etc where they found the information which will help you in the future.

Once you've posted look out for replies which should come quite quickly, be prepared to answer questions we helpers might ask and give more information if you have it.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 16 Nov 2023 23:38

I may be wrong, but from your post it sounds as if you may have been taking "information" from other people's trees on various sites.

The golden rule is NEVER to trust anything on someone's tree unless you have researched it yourself and have documentary proof of relationships.

For all I know, you may already have a big tree.
However, if not - or even if you have but aren't sure of its accuracy -
start with your parents and work back methodically, checking records at each step.

If using FamilySearch, search "Records", which are actual records, and not "Family Trees", which are often full of mistakes.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 Nov 2023 12:09

PM sent asking for feedback.......OPENED

Added 11/12
And another one.....................also opened.