Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry - both sides

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 22 Aug 2023 09:24

Ancestry have started a new category - both sides. To my mind that would be the offspring of my parents children.
So I have 3, very low matches, and no way of working them out.
Now OH has loads in this category yet the parents came (mostly) from opposite sides of the country.

So confused.

agingrocker

agingrocker Report 22 Aug 2023 19:35

I saw this yesterday, I didn't realise it was new, I thought I just hadn't noticed it before.

I have 25 matches who are both sides, the nearest is a 4th cousin. My wife only has 1 match, a 5th cousin. But her Dad was born in Sussex, her Mum was born in Austria, so I can't help being a bit sceptical about it.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 22 Aug 2023 21:00

Thanks Duncan, interesting about your Mum

Almost all the both side matches are too distant be considered possible. The2 of mine at 5th to 8 th cousins as are 26 of the27 on OH list. One is a bit closer it’s a small tree so might follow that one through.

BrianW

BrianW Report 26 Aug 2023 15:39

I have a few but have only been able to allocate a couple where the are common ancestors.
Don't know why Ancestry couldn't work those out.