Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Latvia! Anyone help?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RStar

RStar Report 3 Jul 2023 19:41

After 17 years I have a close dna match on my Latvian side, finally. I can’t find anything on ancestry or family search, records wise, but the man I match with has a small tree, he has a great grandfather named Aleksejs Krilovs born 1914.I believe he was the younger brother of my great grandfather Aleksander Krilovs, but I need to prove this. We don’t know when Aleksejs died, and info is sketchy on both sides as nobody would discuss the family for some reason.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 3 Jul 2023 20:52

Unfortunately Latvia is one many countries where you have to know which town or area the person came from before you can start searching.

Some advice here:

https://www.familysearch.org/en/wiki/Latvia_Genealogy
https://www.cyndislist.com/baltic/

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 3 Jul 2023 21:17

Ancestry has some Latvian records, though in Cyrillic script, and most seem to date from the 19th century.

Krilovs, or similar, seems to be a common name - records in early 20th century in Smolensk, Kaliningrad, Samara, Estonia, various parts of Russia .

However, I don't see any Krilovs in Latvia among those later records.

RStar

RStar Report 3 Jul 2023 21:43

Thankyou x

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 4 Jul 2023 17:35

Google suggests a website called celima.com. Might be worth a look.

RStar

RStar Report 4 Jul 2023 17:55

Thankyou