Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Officially adopted or absorbed into the family!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lesley

Lesley Report 19 Jun 2023 20:56

I've successfully found my son in law's father, Peter's surname at birth. He was born out of wedlock to his 17 year old mother, Mary. She kept him and, eventually married one Horace Bradley.. Peter took his surname and was thence for ever known as Peter Bradley.
What we'd like to know now is, was he officially adopted by Horace, or did he just organically become Known as Bradley.
This would have been around 1945, when his mother, Mary, married Horace.
Are there records online? How do we find them?
Thanks,
Lesley

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 Jun 2023 21:23

Adoption records aren’t online as they are too personal for public view

Unless there’s other family who may have information then it may not be possible to find the answer

Possibly birth

REAR, MARY PARKER
GRO Reference: 1923 D Quarter in BOSTON Volume 07A Page 674

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 19 Jun 2023 22:04

If Horace had adopted the boy, it would have been a ‘Mother’s Own’ whereby both Horace and the mother actually adopted him.

However, it may simply have been that the child’s surname was changed informally, which is perfectly legal, as no intent to deceive or defraud was involved,

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 19 Jun 2023 22:14

"Adoption records in England and Wales, like birth, marriage and death records, are kept by the General Register Office (GRO). There is no searchable index of adoption records online, but you can request a copy of an adoption record via the GRO’s website. To do so, you must register for a free account on the website, select 'Place an Order' from the options given, and fill in the form. You will need to know the adopted child’s current age or their age at death if they are deceased; the year in which the adoption was registered; their adoptive surname and forename; and their date of birth.

Copies of adoption records are delivered by post and cost £14 each. The adoption record does not include the names of the child’s birth parents, but it will tell you the date of the adoption, the court which made the adoption order and the names, addresses and occupations of the adoptive parents."

https://www.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazine.com/tutorials/adoption/

I expect you have all the above details except date of adoption (if there was one), though it may well have been 1946 +/- 1.

Apply here for the adoption certificate - if one exists:
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/app_select.asp

If the GRO can't find a record, they'll retain £3.50 of the fee.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 19 Jun 2023 22:39

Ordering a copy of Peter's birth certificate from the GRO should show whether the far right column has the word 'Adopted' added.

An original certificate issued at birth would be too early to indicate a possible change of surname.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 20 Jun 2023 18:08

There were two sons born to the marriage 1946 and 1949. Would they know ?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 20 Jun 2023 18:38

One of Peter's sons is Lesley’s son-in-law, and it’s on his behalf she is searching

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 21 Jun 2023 10:40

The two sons mentioned are half brothers to peter from the marriage of Mary to Horace Bradley

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 24 Jun 2023 14:52

I'm with you now - I blame the heat ;-) ;-)