Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1931 Census of Canada

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 28 Apr 2023 23:51

This has probably been mentioned here already during my long absence from this place -- but is anyone eagerly awaiting its arrival?

On June 1, the census images will be browsable. Then Library and Archives Canada "will work collaboratively with Ancestry® and FamilySearch International to create an advanced searchable database for Canadians and those with Canadian heritage who wish to look for their ancestors." (Records at FamilySearch are accessible free of charge.)

Or in the case of non-Canadians with no Canadian heritage, a chance, maybe, to find family members who drifted over the Atlantic and were lost. As my parents' families were, to the relations they left behind, who -- judging from the responses I got when I first started contacting relations I identified in trees here or via Ancestry -- promptly forgot they ever existed. :-)

Browsing won't be of any use to anyone who doesn't know where their people were. The voters lists available at Ancestry, but starting only in 1935, might be of some help with addresses/locations. But I'm sure it won't be too long before searchable digitized versions are available.

I've been waiting with bated breath for some time. Nothing really to solve in my own tree, except maybe the great-aunt who was confined in a psychiatric institution sometime post WWI and my mum only heard about as an adult, because one didn't talk about such things. But on the tall dude's side, I might be able to identify his maternal grandmother's new partner but that won't tell me much, even if they were together that early; I'll have to hope the DNA does a better job for the paternity of both his parents.

My parents were a year old at the time of the 1931. My mum almost made it long enough to see herself in a census. And here's a secret. Sshh. The date of the 2021 census was the night of May 11, 2021. My mum died only a few days before. I just thought that to make it all that way, with all that a person had lived through to get there -- the Depression, the financial and other family struggles over the years, joys and sorrows and celebrations and losses -- being left out of the last census by a hair was too unfair. There was no way to leave a secret message in her return (she got only the very short short-form form), so I'll be putting notes on her record in the 1931 to look for her in 2113 when the 2021 is released. ;-)

Anyway, once the Canadian 1931 comes out, I'm sure we Canuckistanians will be happy to help anyone it might be useful to!