Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

hidden person on tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gillian

Gillian Report 24 Dec 2022 08:04

merry xmas

i gave a person access to my tree when they checked their details it was hidden?

thanks

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 24 Dec 2022 09:12

You must have chosen the option to hide living people. You can still see them yourself.

You shouldn’t,t add living people to your tree without their permission.

Gillian

Gillian Report 24 Dec 2022 09:19

can i change hide living people

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 24 Dec 2022 09:56

You can, but it is a bad idea to do so, unless you have permission from every single one of them to include their details in your tree.

The site rules are very clear - do not include living people without permission

If someone living finds you have included them without asking permission, they would be within their rights to take action against you

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 24 Dec 2022 10:44

If you still want to change the "hide living people" setting, click on "Account" at the top of this page, then scroll down to the bottom of your "Personal details" to where it says "Hide living people", and change it to "No".
Then click "Save".

BUT -
before deciding to do that -
please take serious heed of what Nameslessone and ErikaH have said.

You could keep the living people on your tree but without any identifying details.
Change their names from John Smith (for example) to Living Living.
Keep their YEAR of birth (not full DOB), but remove all other details.

I do that even though the people have given me permission to have them on my tree , just to preserve their privacy in case my tree were somehow to get into unauthorised hands.

Incidentally, one disadvantage of hiding living people is that the algorithm assumes that anyone for whom you haven't entered a date of death is alive - no matter how long ago they were born.

Gillian

Gillian Report 24 Dec 2022 11:05

thanks for replies