Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Common Law Wife

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 5 Nov 2022 17:21

How do I show a common law wife (and children) against the husband when he is still married to his first wife?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 5 Nov 2022 17:25

Whether you add the "wife" as a spouse or not is up to your own preference.
Either way, you'll need to explain the situation in a note.

"Spouse" is the only kind of partner possible on GR.

"Common law" wife/husband is not a legal term in the UK.
In Scotland there used to be something called "cohabitation with habit and repute", but that was abolished in 2006. It gave limited legal rights - but only if neither partner was married to anyone else.

David

David Report 5 Nov 2022 20:57

Hi thanks for that. I can now add the second family.

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 5 Nov 2022 21:02

I would add the second as a spouse, then put in notes 'not married'.
You may find that if the second is older than the first, she will appear in first position. The way to change this is to make the first's DOB before the seconds, change either and put correct date in notes.