Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help with FTM entry

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jan.

Jan. Report 9 Oct 2022 20:36

I have Family Tree maker 2011 and I'm trying to work out how to enter someone who was divorced, then had a partner, but not married them.

I've been looking on google but can't work out the instructions on how to do it.
Bascially, I have a lady who was married, then divorced. She then lived with a partner but didn't marry them. I can't work out how to enter her new relationship.

Can anyone help me please?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 10 Oct 2022 00:21

I don't know how different FTM 2011 is from the old FTM2005 which I use but on mine you would go to the person in question and underneath her details would be boxes that say "EDIT", "SPOUSE", "SCRAPBOOK" and "WEB SEARCH".

You would click on "SPOUSE" and underneath her husband's name would be a box called "create a new spouse". Click on that and enter her new partners name and then in the notes for the lady just say that there wasn't a marriage.

That's what I'd do but as I said, I'm not sure how similar your version of FTM is to mine.

Kath. x

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 10 Oct 2022 09:07

I have the old version of FTM think it’s something like 2007

I had the same with a couple that weren’t married but lived together and had children

I added the man as spouse and in the section for married details typed not married

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 10 Oct 2022 09:14

Do as you would on GR. Enter as spouse, and add a note

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 10 Oct 2022 11:06

Interesting that the relationship drop down box doesn’t have a cohabitation option. Seems everyone must get married, annulled, divorced.

You could opt for engagement with a note. I’m sure the very earlier form of FTM had a ‘not married’ option.

Jan.

Jan. Report 10 Oct 2022 14:54

Thanks everyone for your help. I'll follow your instructions and add in the notes that they are not married.