Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Married Cousins causing tree issues

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christian

Christian Report 14 Sep 2022 04:10

Is it just my tree or is it just that genesreunited doesnt like cousins marrying. I have discovered a link to the royal family, in this particular case, my tree is connected to Mary Queen of Scots, who married her cousin Henry Stewart, however when trying to connect the two on my tree, it wont link the two, at least on the main tree, and as far as I can tell hasnt created a copy entry. if i cselect on of the two people and look at them in immediate family it will link them and show descendants, however the decendants dont appear at all on the full tree.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 14 Sep 2022 09:45

Someone may come up with the answer ( I’m not sure there is one) but not many keep their full tree on Genes.

You should always keep a back up copy somewhere else, which may allow you to make the connection.

Your tree is presumably large, Genes is not a good place to keep a large tree as it is often impossible to print off.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 14 Sep 2022 16:10

I have a few instances of cousins marrying in my tree.
It's impossible to link them on a GR tree .

I've shown each of them in their places in their own line of ancestors,, and shown the spouse of each, with a note to see the other line for the spouse's parents, etc. If the couple had children, I've only entered them under one of the parents, to avoid duplicating almost the whole tree.

It does mean that each of the spouses appears twice in my tree , but I haven't figured out any other way round it.

Christian

Christian Report 14 Sep 2022 19:18

Thank you, I did end up contacting GR support about it, but currently awaiting a reply, appears I will need to do similar as you.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 14 Sep 2022 22:31

ADDED:

When I said I'd entered the children under one of the parents, of course I meant under both parents, but in only one of the two places where the parents appear.

Confusing!

Christian

Christian Report 15 Sep 2022 15:55

Support have got back to me, and said they will pass it on to the tree team, so hopefully there will be a better solution in time.

Kense

Kense Report 15 Sep 2022 22:54

The problem is that the GR found it too complicated to show the links neatly on the full tree so they opted for duplicating the box of anyone who appears in two places on the tree. The copied boxed are indicated by an icon (two sheets). Any data you enter for the main box will apply to the copies as well.

It is unfortunate that in many cases the master and copy are close together and could easily be combined in one box.

Christian

Christian Report 16 Sep 2022 08:22

That's not the issue in this case though, there isn't even a duplication box for this connection, and the decendants I have added to this couple, don't display anywhere on the "full" tree.

Kense

Kense Report 16 Sep 2022 16:22

Did you use the Find Existing facility when adding the spouse?

Christian

Christian Report 17 Sep 2022 17:03

I did yes, with the intention to link them, like I said it links them when i select either one of them and look at 'decendants' from the view treee type selector, but the descendants dont display on the full tree and the marriage doesnt dislay on the full tree.

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 17 Sep 2022 22:49

I have a lot of these in my tree as my parents are related. I dealt with it by building the tree from 1 parent, then naming the other parent and putting in notes 'see xxxx for the ancestry.' This limits the number of duplicate entries.

Simon

Simon Report 29 Oct 2022 18:32

I haven't looked at the Boards for ages - but I just came across this post and thought I'd add my penny's worth...

I have a large tree (103k names) and numerous cases where I have needed to link pre-existing people, including cousins who have married - or link children to pre-existing parents.

Usually it works OK by using the 'Find Existing' tab in the 'Add Spouse / Father / Mother' window. However, GR does like to lose these links and I do find myself quite often having to 're-marry' two people who I have 'married' previously (after which they and their children all show correctly (until the next time the link gets cut)). Sometimes, it's necessary to 'reload the current page' to get them to show properly.

The thing that hacks me off about the 'Find Existing' tab is the need to go back to 'Add New' (husband/wife) then cancel, before being able to add a new Child...

Anyway, it's reassuring to see that there are still some other people using GR! I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one left!!