Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Miriam McMillian b. 1951/2

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

xtootsy16x

xtootsy16x Report 25 Jun 2022 18:48

I am looking for any information for a Miriam McDonald born 1951/2 in Irvine Scotland, she was also known as Molly. She came down south where she had 3 children by Walter Taylor, not too sure of his birth year maybe 1948? , Their son James born in Portsmouth 1974, daughter Karen born September 1975 in Stepney, and daughter Sophia 1978 in Stepney. Miriam went on to have twins Jacqueline and Christopher 1979, but cant find them or if the father is Taylor too.
Can anyone help please,?
Walter Taylor died over 10years ago cant find his death either.
many thanks

greyghost

greyghost Report 25 Jun 2022 19:08

Use this free site to look for the children's birth -
https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

The site will show Mother's maiden name - McMillan or McMillian

Then looking at the Scotland's People website - https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk -
free searches, pay to download certificates within privacy rules, you will find a birth under that surname of a Miriam McMillan in Irvine.

There are no Miriam McDonald's b Irvine 1952 +/- 2 years

Accurate initial information helps find information

EDIT - wording changed as poster has altered thread title and correct surname

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 25 Jun 2022 19:13

I take it that "McDonald" is a mistake in your post?

Christopher and Jacqueline's births are under the name Taylor on FreeBMD.

You can easily find them yourself - but note that their mother's name is spelled Mcmillan, although it's spelled Mcmilllian for the other children's birth records.

greyghost

greyghost Report 25 Jun 2022 19:14

Again using a variation of spelling of that surname as Mother's maiden name, you can find the other births again with Taylor as the registered surname.

All children except the female twin have middle names which may help you with searches

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 25 Jun 2022 19:17

There are no Mcmillian births in Scotland 1950-53.

There is, however, a Miriam Mcmillan in Irvine in 1952.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 25 Jun 2022 19:34

If Walter died in England/Wales, look at the FREE -to-all GRO site, but, if you don’t know when he was born, not sure how you’d identify the correct record

Be careful when posting info about living people - they may not care to have their details broadcast on this insecure site

xtootsy16x

xtootsy16x Report 25 Jun 2022 19:34

thank you and yes McDonald ,dont know how that came about . I did go onto freebmd but only the first 3 children came up so again surname spelt differently . I will try again . Thank you . Can you find the parents of Miriam or if she had any siblings please ?
many thanks again .

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 25 Jun 2022 19:36

Look for info about Miriam on Scotland’s People. Free to search, but MMN isn’t recorded, so identifying parents and/or siblings is difficult - at best

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 25 Jun 2022 19:39

You will have to buy a copy of her birth cert (£12) from Scotlands People website in order to find out her parents' names.

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

As Mcmillan isn't an unusual name, it's impossible to know if she had any siblings or not.
Unlike FreeBMD, SP doesn't show mother's maiden name on a basic search for births after 1854.

There were 147 Mcmillan births registered in Irvine 1940-60.

Is Miriam still living?

EDIT:
No, this looks like her death:

TAYLOR, MIRIAM 1952
GRO Reference: DOR Q3/2016 in KENT (564-1K) Entry Number 514104665

In which case I can post her birth, with reference numbers:

MCMILLAN
MIRIAM
F
595/ 563
Irvine

xtootsy16x

xtootsy16x Report 25 Jun 2022 19:51

Thank you again ,do you know when Miriam died ?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 25 Jun 2022 19:54

Posted above - from the GRO site

xtootsy16x

xtootsy16x Report 25 Jun 2022 20:06

I have looked on the electoral roles for an address at which she lived at, I cant see any ,could she have gone private,? Is there a way of finding out any addresses for her please . Or anywhere she could have lived
Many thanks

alviegal

alviegal Report 25 Jun 2022 20:15

I was looking at that death AG.

Mrs
Geo direction Greater London
First name(s) Miriam
Postcode area DA
Last name Taylor
Postcode district DA11
Sex Female
Postcode sector DA11 8
Age 64
County Kent
Birth year 1952
Country England
Birth date 07 Apr 1952
Record set England & Wales Deaths 2007-2020
Death year 2016
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Death date 10 Jul 2016
Subcategory Civil Deaths & Burials
Residence Gravesend
Collections from England, Great Britain, Wales
Area Dartford

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 25 Jun 2022 20:25

Her last address will be on her death cert. You can buy a copy from the GRO

xtootsy16x

xtootsy16x Report 25 Jun 2022 20:47

Thank you so much, so was there a marriage between Walter George Taylor and her ?
if so when please .

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 25 Jun 2022 21:26

Where have you looked for a marriage?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 25 Jun 2022 21:26

Have you looked on freebmd

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 25 Jun 2022 21:37

The birth of Jaqueline and Christopher are on ancestry with mmn as McMillan and indicates with a small s so adopted

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 25 Jun 2022 22:44

There's no record of a marriage of Miriam and Walter in Scotland, England or Wales.

IF the twins were adopted, there's no way we can trace them, as their names will have been changed.
The "s" after the birth reg reference number only means "superseded" - ie - changed or corrected in some way. Various possible reasons - not necessarily adoption.

I don't see any definite sign of any of the other three children on ERs, nor definite marriages . Their names are not unusual.

If the family moved away from London, I'm wondering about two marriages in Norfolk in 1999 and 2000, for women named the same as the two older daughters (though there's only a middle initial for the one named Karen.

BUT I repeat - they are not unusual names, so quite possibly nothing to do with the women you're interested in.
You can find the marriages on Ancestry or FMP - too recent for FreeBMD.
IF (HUGE IF ) by some chance they are the right people, Sophia is still living in Norfolk.