Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Massey death/burial-i1841-1851 Cheshire

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

margaret

margaret Report 24 Jun 2022 09:20

Looking for the correct burial for Hannah Massey ( Massie) wife of James Massey of Mere, Cheshire.

Shown on 1841 census, with family and mother Fanny Shallcross. but absent from 1851 where husband is shown as a widower. with daughters & MIL.

Noted a burial on 24/10/1841 at Rosthenre - which seemed to fit, but appears to be the wife of Thomas.

can anyone suggest an alternative please ?
Thank you

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 24 Jun 2022 09:34

If you look at the free website www.freebmd.org.uk you will see that a number of Hannah masses died in Cheshire in that period.

You need the death certificate to confirm her date and place of death. The burial would then take place shortly afterwards.

Some church burial records are available online and I presume that is what you found. Not all burial records are available and do not necessarily give you the husbands name.

Added: according to Genuki Mere is part of the parish of Rostherne.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 24 Jun 2022 10:10

This looks like Hannah's marriage:-

First name(s) Hannah
County Cheshire
Last name Shallcross
Country England
Marriage year 1832
Reference 393
Marriage date 26 Sep 1832
Record set Cheshire Diocese Of Chester Parish Marriages 1538-1910
Marriage place Rostherne
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Spouse's first name(s) James <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Subcategory Parish Marriages
Spouse's last name Massey
Collections from England, Great Britain
City or town Rostherne

Kath. x

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 24 Jun 2022 11:16

I suggest this may be the most likely death - though a bit younger than the 1841 census suggests:

MASSEY, HANNAH 28
GRO Reference: 1841 D Quarter in ALTRINCHAM UNION Volume 19 Page 8

EDIT:
Now I see the burial record gives age 28 too.

The clerk must just have made a mistake with her husband's name - perhaps thinking ahead to the name Thomas Shallcross.

The death cert will confirm - or not.