Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Electoral lists (Kent) - Answered - Thank you

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Agee

Agee Report 22 Dec 2021 20:24

Can anyone tell me what are the "rules" about when electoral list can appear on this site or similar eg Ancestry?

I have finally traced an ancestor to Swanley Kent - but had to pay £70 for a search of the 88-90 electoral registers as these did not appear to be online. Don't know what happened to him after that date.

Is there a legal time limit before they can go online? Is it up to each local authority?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 22 Dec 2021 20:59

I think it depends on when or if the Registers happen to be digitised. Only some have been.
That in turn probably depends on money, manpower, and demand.
There's no rule about it.

General info about ERs here:

https://www.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazine.com/tutorials/electoral-registers/

malyon

malyon Report 22 Dec 2021 21:35

have you looked on electrol list on here

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 22 Dec 2021 22:13

Electoral Rolls on GR are under "Search" at top right of this page.

But they don't show anything before 1998, and specific years at any address are only from 2002 onwards.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 23 Dec 2021 00:45

From 2002 they are on FMP

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 23 Dec 2021 10:31

Also remember that from November 2001 it became possible to opt out of the public Electoral Register - so if your relative was alive then, and chose to opt out, they will not appear on the online ERs.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 23 Dec 2021 11:37

You can search by address at the main public library for the area.

You have to accept that a vast amount of info has not yet been uploaded to the internet

Agee

Agee Report 25 Dec 2021 08:00

Thank you all for advice. Cant remember how to mark "answered".

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 25 Dec 2021 09:47

You can't "mark as answered" on the Genealogy Chat board - goodness knows why.

You can, however, edit the title of your thread to say it's been answered.

"Mark as Answered" is only an option on the Find Ancestors board - at the top of any of your posts on a thread started by you.