Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adopted persons original birth certificate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sane Jayne

Sane Jayne Report 26 Jul 2021 12:09

Advice needed please.

My friend was born in 1951 and has never seen her original birth certificate so she asked me to get it for her after we found it on the GRO. Completed it with name, quarter and references etc, only for the submission to be returned saying it couldn't be found and the Monet refunded!

Can anyone advise as to why this would be as I have a birth certificate of an adopted aunt who wa born in 1941 and at the end of the certificate it just says adopted. Have the rules changed after a certain date if you were born to get the original certificate?

Thanks in advance.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 26 Jul 2021 12:40

In the case of an adopted person normally only a short version is supplied

Have you double checked the gro nos

The GRO doesn’t list birth between 1934 and 1984

You can look at the actual listing on freebmd though

If it’s a typed listing maybe is a typing mistake . You couid reapply without a gro nos

Presume it’s was applied for in the birth name

Do you want it double checked

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Jul 2021 12:57

As this relates to someone who was adopted, it's OK to put the original birth info on here for double-checking. Assuming you want that

Bear in mind that no parental info will be given...........merely the child's name, gender, date of birth and location

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 26 Jul 2021 13:37

You can contact GRO to ask about it:

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/contact_us.asp

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 26 Jul 2021 14:24

It may be something as simple as having put too much information on the rquest which may not match what they have.