Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

German (Jewish) Child Refugees in Belfast

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christopher

Christopher Report 1 May 2020 16:31

Asking for a friend... (Really). I wanted a search strategy for the following.

A school age girl came from Germany to my friends Mums house in Belfast and then later emigrated to the USA (probably before the war). What we know:

1. Her first name
2. She was Jewish
3. She left Germany as part of a supposed exchange visit (this might help with the date) and arrived (we think before the war) - maybe mid 1930's;
4. She was born probably 1920-2
5. The full name and address where she stayed in Belfast
6. She left for the US potentially before the start of the war
7. The families were connected through some musical connection

My friend is keen to understand what became of her so any help on a search strategy would be of high value. Particularly, when do people think exchange visits by German Children were suspended or stopped. Many thanks

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 1 May 2020 16:42

Findmypast have some pasenger lists going from UK and Ireland between 1890 and 1960.

If you'd like to give a name I could have a look. If you don't want to put the name on here you could send in a private message.

Kath. x

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 1 May 2020 17:46

There's some mention of pre-war exchange visits towards the bottom of the page that the link below will take you to, and on the following couple of pages - though re Liverpool, not Belfast:

https://tinyurl.com/y7wlgjyw

Christopher

Christopher Report 1 May 2020 19:26

Cheers - my friend is hesitant at identifying herself

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 2 May 2020 09:59

How would giving us the name of the German girl identify your friend?