Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hobby Family Tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hobby

Hobby Report 2 Mar 2020 16:29

What is the process for printing my family tree?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 2 Mar 2020 16:47

It depends on how many people you have in your tree. If you have quite a lot then I would recommend that you don't try to print it out yourself but use a very good commercial printers like this one:-

genealogyprinters.com

The couple who run the business (Carol and Ron) used to be members of Genes and they will do a fantastic job with as much or as little detail as you want to incorporate. If you give them a ring they will talk you through exactly what you need to do.

They have always been highly recommended on this site.

Kath. x

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 2 Mar 2020 18:24

GR's instructions given for printing your GR tree don't work.

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/help/faqs?key=272

"If you would like to print out a copy of your tree open up the tree select the view that you would like to print. Click on the 'Print' icon in the top right hand corner of the tree to see the print menu. You'll see full instructions on how to print out your tree ."

No.
The "full instructions" don't exist.
For example, with my tree, clicking on the print symbol only gives me the option of printing one page - ie - the part of the tree which is visible on-screen at the time.
To print a tree with more than about 5 people on it, therefore, you have to keep moving the tree around so that different parts of it show on the page, and print each bit separately.
Then, if your tree is big, you end up with dozens of sheets of paper, which you then have to try to fit together jigsaw fashion - you need a football pitch area on which to spread all the pages out, and then try to stick them together with Sellotape.

Useless !

The GR instructions on the link I gave above also say:

"We know that some members are having problems printing their trees at the moment, and we're really sorry about this. We're still making a number of improvements to the tree, including the printing function. We have partnered with a professional family tree printing company who will print your tree from as little as £9.95. For more information please click here."

The price is very out of date. Clicking "here" as instructed takes you to a post dated 2013, with a link to a company called "My History", which does seem to still be in operation.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 2 Mar 2020 18:33

Or upload your tree onto another family tree site which does allow sensible printing of your tree. There are lots of them out there - just Google. Many are free.

I use Roots Magic free version - but there are lots of others.