Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Scotland Marriage Search

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maureen

Maureen Report 13 Feb 2020 19:52

Is there a site i can look at Scottish marriages, I find the family i am searching in 1901 census of Cambuslang Lanarkshire.
James Brown 34 born Ireland
Catherine Brown wife 30 born Ireland
William Brown aged 2 yrs born Ireland
Maggie Brown 6months born Lanarkshire.

I have searched for marriage in Ireland Catherine's maiden name is Kenny. By Dec 1902 they had a son James born in Co Mayo, where the family lived in 1911 Irish census, another child also born in Co Mayo in 1908. the parents remained in Ireland and buried there. I wondered if they could have married in Scotland, the 1911 stated married 14yrs, although this could be out a year.

Rambling

Rambling Report 13 Feb 2020 20:51

Just for ref James bn 1902,
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1904/01835/1716335.pdf

Rambling

Rambling Report 13 Feb 2020 20:53

For marriages in Scotland see https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

Maureen

Maureen Report 13 Feb 2020 21:39

Thanks Rambling for the link , No marriages in Scotland listed for the couple.

Rambling

Rambling Report 13 Feb 2020 22:44

I was going to suggest browsing on the nli parish registers, but they don't appear to cover the right period https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0753

Rambling

Rambling Report 13 Feb 2020 22:51

Just a long shot if there was an error in transcribing Catherine's surname...EDIT no not this one, Catherine Murray married John Browne.

First name(s) James
Last name Browne
Registration year 1897
Registration quarter Jan - Mar 1897
Registration district Ballina
Volume -
Page -
MarriageFinder ™

James Browne married one of these people

Maggie Kilgallan, Mary Gilboy, Catherine Murray, *** Mary R Kelly, Annie Reynolds, Mary (See Dec ) Canavan

County Mayo

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 Feb 2020 08:42

If the eldest son William was born in Ireland it’s likely that’s where the marriage was

Unless he was military and it took place abroad

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 Feb 2020 10:13

Take a look on Scotland’s people for Maggie birth

Scottish records are very good and do show parents marriage etc on the birth record

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 14 Feb 2020 11:21

There were 10 Maggie Browns born in Lanarkshire 1900-1901. None in Cambuslang - though she might not have been born there.

Lots of Margaret Browns. Two in Cambuslang.

This looks the most likely:

BROWN
MARGARET
F
627/512
Cambuslang

ADDED:

Yes, I've had a look.

Born 1st September 1900, at Westburn View, Cambuslang.
Father: James Brown, coal miner.
Mother: Catherine Brown, ms Kenny.
Married 10 August 1896, at Ballinn (?), Co. Mayo. [Ballina ]

Informant: James Brown, father.

No sign of that marriage on irishgenealogy.ie

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 14 Feb 2020 11:27

The son James's birth was in Carramore, Ballina, Mayo, so presumably that's his parent's marriage place too.

Carramore is alternatively called Carrowmore, per a Google search .

Interestingly, on James's birth cert it gives the father James's address as "Fifeshire, Scotland"

Maureen

Maureen Report 15 Feb 2020 00:27

Thank you all for your help in this search, i research mostly in Ireland and have tried all variants of names etc, the date and dist from above is correct for the Townland they lived in. It could be that the marriage was not registered i have found other records shown on church records not registered on Civil lists. confirmed with the Local registration office that this happens even in the 1920's. I wanted to find the marriage to go back a generation for James Browne.