Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

BAPTISMAL RECORDS

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 24 Jan 2020 17:58

I have found several baptismal records for family members. On some, alongside the date of the baptism there is a second date with the word "admitted" alongside. In this context what does the word admitted mean?

Many thanks

Susan

greyghost

greyghost Report 24 Jan 2020 18:45

Have a look at this thread (found by googling)
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=585390.9;PHPSESSID=kjpj7jtgde9d6i3874f323q963

One answer says -The baptism service consists of two parts, the baptism itself and the public receiving of the infant before the congregation at a service in the church as a member of Christ’s flock. If a child is baptised privately, they ought to be brought to the Church as soon as possible to be received as members of " the flock of true Christian people". This is why the term "half baptised" is sometimes used, because the second part has not been carried out. However children that are baptized privately, are not half baptized, as it is commonly called, but truly and validly baptized. (A general notice to the people of Southea with Murrow in Cambridgeshire published in the Wisbech Deanery Magazine Dec 1890.)

There are others.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 24 Jan 2020 18:45

Hard to say without seeing the record.

Admitted to membership of the church?

Are the second dates much later than the first?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 25 Jan 2020 10:11

Was the word added to the record?

If so someone may have added them later to the church of Latter Day Saints and the word is them being admitted to that church

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 25 Jan 2020 10:51

My grandmother was baptised in February 1889 and underneath the entry in the parish records it says "received into the church April 7th 1889". I think the word "admitted" means the same as received.

Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 25 Jan 2020 11:11

Just googled and this paragraph is taken from here:-

http://www.genguide.co.uk/source/parish-registers-baptisms-parish/25/

The earlier registers for baptisms and burials were often kept together in one book in chronological order which can cause confusion when searching for a name. Occasionally, up to the mid-17th century the term 'Chrisom Child' may be found against the name of a baptised infant. This signifies that the child died within a month of birth. The chrisom was a white linen cloth wrapped around the child at the time of baptism. If the child survived, the cloth was given as an offering at the mother's churching service which was a form of thanksgiving to God for the good health of mother and child. In the event of the child's death, he or she would be buried wrapped in the cloth. 'Half-baptised' or 'privately baptised' noted against a baptism entry signifies that the child was baptised at home without the full rites of a church baptism due to the supposed impending death of the child. The entry may be noted by a the letter 'P' or 'Priv'. If the child survived, the date the child was later ‘admitted’ or ‘received’ into the church with a full baptism ceremony should be recorded in the margins of the register.

Kath. x

Susan

Susan Report 25 Jan 2020 12:34

Many thanks for all replies with helpful information

Susan

mgnv

mgnv Report 26 Jan 2020 23:00

My g gran was baptized privately by the minister aged abt 6 weeks, On her first birthday, she was taken to the church and the minister welcomed her into the congregation.
This was in the Buchan, Aberdeenshire, and it was said she was "presented to the congregation" rather than "admitted to the congregation", but it's the same thing.