Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Navigating Familysearch - ANSWERED - THANK YOU

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 2 Jan 2020 09:42

I am easing myself back into family research in fits and starts. Since becoming carer for my mother I don't have long unbroken stretches of time in which to work things out so I am hoping someone can steer me through my current problem.

Familysearch has changed considerably since my previous use of it, and not for the better as far as I can see. Can anyone explain why, when searching for a marriage for example, you have to plough through pages and pages of baptisms? I cannot for the life of me find how to put effective filters in place to exclude unwanted information. Having chosen "search with a life event" and entered the relevant details, it doesn't seem possible to exclude the others.

Guidance would be much appreciated!

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 2 Jan 2020 13:19

If you look at the menu on the left hand side of the FS page with all the resulting records, you'll see "Restrict Records By", and then "Type".

Click on that and choose "Marriage" or whatever kind of record you want. Then click "Update".

Christine

Christine Report 2 Jan 2020 13:41

Ah! Thank you! That should make things a lot easier.