Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Will

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 12 Nov 2019 23:48

When ordering a will to be downloaded, will it state who got what or will I need to do something else to get that information please.

greyghost

greyghost Report 12 Nov 2019 23:56

When you receive the will it should state how the deceased persons property, assets etc were to be distributed.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 13 Nov 2019 18:25

Thank you greyghost, now I have another question, having found what I think is the one I’m looking for, the death occurred 2004 but I am unable to find a registration for it, is there a closure period for death certificate application please?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 13 Nov 2019 19:42

Recent deaths are on the GRO site

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 13 Nov 2019 20:12

You should be able to find it on ancestry

Or you look for probate on

https://www.gov.uk/search-will-probate

You don’t need the death cert to apply for the probate which will be a copy of the will

You do need the year of death though to help the search

Do you want a look for the death reg

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 13 Nov 2019 21:40

on the 192 it gives the wife and grandson as living in Wales, no sign of him and the death of 2004 isn’t him, it gives a much different year of birth, freebmd, ancestry and FMP.....nothing. So back to the drawing board with a JCB lol. Thanks everyone for your help xx.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 14 Nov 2019 05:50

If the person you can't find is not on 192, it may be that they have chosen to be on the closed list of electors, so their name won't be available to the public.

If they have become really incapacitated, eg. mental illness, they will not be on an any electors list

Could they have died abroad, in which case their death won't necessarily feature on British lists?

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 14 Nov 2019 14:57

On a more recent will, this year, it doesn’t state who got what so will that be it? I mean will we be unable to find out who got what, we don’t want to contest it though we’re just curious. Xx.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 14 Nov 2019 16:02

Unless you have purchased a copy of the actual Will, you won't be able to see who the beneficiaries are.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 Nov 2019 16:12

Obviously it does depend on how the will was written

We did reciprocal wills in that hubby left everything to me .i left everything to him
In the event neither of us where still here it goes to our daughter for her do use as she wants

We didn’t specify any particular legacies to our grandchildren and grt grandchildren

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 14 Nov 2019 16:45

ErikaH to whom do we apply for that? The more difficult things are makes me more determined to find it lol.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 14 Nov 2019 16:58

Shirley gave you the link on 13 Nov.

Copied again here:

https://www.gov.uk/search-will-probate

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 14 Nov 2019 18:00

Not sure what you are hoping to achieve. You seem to be looking for someone’s death. Unless the Will was written by that person, it won’t help you.

And the names of the beneficiaries will be of people who were, presumably, alive when the Will was drafted, which could have been many years ago.

Just trying to think things through on your behalf................

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 14 Nov 2019 19:53

Thank you all for your help, I’ll give up now it was only a curiosity thing anyway :-)