Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Unwanted certificates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sheila

Sheila Report 1 Aug 2019 17:34

There used to be a site where you could post unwanted certificates, does anybody know the site.

Sheila

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 1 Aug 2019 17:39

http://www.certificate-exchange.co.uk/

I posted some certificates on there years and years ago but nobody has ever shown any interest in them!

There's also this:

http://www.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazine.com/forum/unwanted-certificates.html

In fact, just Google "unwanted BMD certificates" and you'll get several results.

Sheila

Sheila Report 1 Aug 2019 17:42

I will try Googling unwanted certificates, thanks for your helpSheila

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 2 Aug 2019 22:27

you can also put a postem on FREBMD against the appropriate entry. That has more chance that the other site where I have had no luck either

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 3 Aug 2019 12:01

For interest, Ann -

Have you tried that personally? If so, did you postem all the details from the cert, or did you just leave a contact email address?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 3 Aug 2019 16:15

You can only use a limited number of characters on Freebmd. Spaces & punctuation are included in the count.

In the past I’ve added details of a birth, along the lines of
John s/o William Blake & Mary (Jones) b 22.11.66 @ [address]

Hoping the address doesn’t take up too many characters,

It’s unlikely you’d manage to condense all the details from a D or M cert. On the other hand, you might be able to give sufficient info for someone to decide if it’s relevant to their research.

Kense

Kense Report 3 Aug 2019 20:25

You can always add a second postem, Det.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 3 Aug 2019 21:58

Never thought of that :-)

Kense

Kense Report 3 Aug 2019 22:26

On more than one occasion I have had to add one to correct a typo in my original postem

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 4 Aug 2019 09:17

I'm not sure if the certificate-exchange website is still maintained.

Looking at it today, for the first time in ages, I see that the most recent "news" on it is from 2012.

I agree, it's better to add a postem to FreeBMD, which is used by a lot more people in any case - assuming your certs are for English or Welsh BMDs.

I have loads of Scottish ones , for which FreeBMD is no use.

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 4 Aug 2019 14:01

I just put eg against a marriage entry which person was the spouse and a contact email for anyone to ask for more information (not that anyone ever has but who knows - one day