Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

John g spedding, Greatham

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Allison

Allison Report 31 Jul 2019 10:45

Looking for any relatives of john George Spedding of greatham, england born 1892
(Predecessors preferably please).

Thanks Allison hanson

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 31 Jul 2019 11:37

Have you tried doing any research yourself?

Start by finding his birth on the FREE site https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp

That will tell you his mother's maiden name - thern you can look for the marriage of the parents on another FREE site https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

FH is about finding info yourself if atall possible,. That's where the fun lies.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 31 Jul 2019 11:38

Are you sure of his date of birth? There is this one living in Greatham on the 1901 census but he is born c. 1872:-

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Sex Age Birth year Occupation Birth place

John George Spedding Head Married Male 29 1872 Ordinary Agricultural Labourer Elwick, Durham, England
Mary Louisa Spedding Wife Married Female 30 1871 - Luton, Bedfordshire, England
Jane Spedding Daughter - Female 8 1893 - Elwick, Durham, England
Emily Spedding Daughter - Female 6 1895 - Elwick, Durham, England
Ethel Spedding Daughter - Female 4 1897 - Greatham, Durham, England)

I can't see a birth for a John G. Spedding in 1892 in Greatham (registration district should be Hartlepool or at least Co. Durham).

Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 31 Jul 2019 11:40

There is also a Greatham in Co. Durham, so we need to know exactly where.

Kath. x

greyghost

greyghost Report 31 Jul 2019 11:41

Greatham in Durham or Hampshire?

No birth reg's for a John George Spedding 1892 +/- 2 years

Where have you got your information from, how have you worked back to him?

EDIT - removed possible census as further info from a previous thread (extracts in a post below)

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 31 Jul 2019 11:49

Have sent a pm to Allison asking her to come back to this thread although I think she may not live in England.

Kath. x

greyghost

greyghost Report 31 Jul 2019 11:55

Allison has posted another thread about another family under name "Malcolm" a few minutes apart from this one, so should be around somewhere even if not UK

And another thread involving the name Spedding in Hartlepool

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/general_chat/thread/1378668
which mentions a John George Spedding b 1911 Greatham

From the other thread -
1911 census
Looks Iike his mum has remarried

1911 Census For England & Wales
Front St Greatham Via Stockton on Tees, Greatham, Durham, England

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Sex Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
Robert Ervin Head Married Male 35 1876 Gardener Market Greatham County Durham
Mary Louisa Ervin Wife Married Female 40 1871 - Lughton Essex
Jane Spedding Daughter Single Female 18 1893 - Elwick County Durham
Emily Spedding Daughter Single Female 16 1895 Employed Cerebos Salt Works Salt Packer Elwick County Durham
Ethel Spedding Daughter Single Female 14 1897 Domestic Servant Greatham County Durham
George William Spedding Son Single Male 7 1904 School Greatham County Durham
Charles Ervin Son - Male 4 1907 - Greatham County Durham
Arthur Ervin Son - Male 4 1907 - Greatham County Durham
John George Spedding Son - Male 0 1911 - Greatham County Durham

Marriages Jun 1906
ERVIN Robert Carlisle Hartlepool 10a 358
Spedding Mary Louisa Hartlepool 10a 358

Youngest child was illegitimate

SPEDDING, JOHN GEORGE -
GRO Reference: 1910 J Quarter in HARTLEPOOL Volume 10A Page 133

So the son of one of the sisters

First marriage of Mary Louisa also listed there - to a John George Spedding in 1892!!??

Marriages Mar 1892
Richardson Mary Louisa Richmond, Y. 9d
Spedding John George Richmond, Y. 9d 863

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 31 Jul 2019 12:17

That is the family I posted from the 1901 census Greyghost. I think Allison needs to be more careful about dates when posting or it will be difficult to help her. She has already been asked to check her dates on another thread.

She has not read my message to her.

If it is John G. Spedding born 1910 that Allison is looking for then I would say his mother is most likely Jane Spedding born 1893 although only buying the birth certificate will conform this.

Kath. x

Allison

Allison Report 31 Jul 2019 18:41

Hi all, the account is in my husbands name (forth) sorry for any confusion caused.

All the info I have was given to me by relatives some time ago, but can no longer get in touch with them.

Please forgive my ignorance on all the family tracing stuff, im quite a newbie to it all and don’t really know any of the sites you are supposed to use except for ancestry, genes reunited and free bed.

Allison forth nee hanson

Allison

Allison Report 31 Jul 2019 18:43

Sorry!! That should read free bmd

Flippin auto correct! :-D

Allison

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 31 Jul 2019 22:25

Allison,

You still haven't let us know which John G. Spedding you are trying to find out about. In your initial post you said born 1892 in Greatham, but the most likely one is born 1910. There is another born c.1872 (probably the grandfather of the one born 1910).

Was the birth year of 1892 just a typing mistake or are you unsure of the dates?

As for sites to use there are loads but if you are just getting started then lots of us on here are willing to do look-ups for you but you need to give as much accurate information as you can.

Kath. x

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 1 Aug 2019 07:36

Saw below...

Chris :)

Burials Hartlepool 1904 John George Spedding abt 1872 Greatham

https://www.durhamrecordsonline.com/NewSearch.php

07 February 1940 - Hartlepool Northern Daily Mail - Hartlepool, Durham

Deaths
ERVIN. - On the 5th Inst., at Front Street. Greatham. Mary Louisa, aged 65 years, beloved wife of R C. Ervin. - Cortege leaves above address on Thursday at 2-55 p.m. for service In Greatham Church.

Burials Hartlepool 1963 Robert Carlisle Irving abt 1876 General Hospital