Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What records can I search?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Debra

Debra Report 29 Jun 2019 10:29

Hello
Are there any other records I can search to locate my ancestors, other than the census and BMD?
For example are there any tax registers or employment records, etc?
I am interested in trying to find ancestors between the census / ten years gap, does anyone know how or if this is possible?
I have no idea on how to try to search newspapers for example?
I’m not searching anyone in particular here, but just more interested in tracing people between the census
Thanks if anyone has any ideas here?

greyghost

greyghost Report 29 Jun 2019 10:39

Worthwhile looking at the threads showing above yours on this board such as Useful sites / Useful books / Other tips threads hyperlinks / Links to Jonesey's Tip of the Day Threads and Others.

Have a look at the find Ancestors Board and the thread Absolute basics for beginners.

What era are you looking for and where in the country, there may be different sites or records available that will help.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 29 Jun 2019 10:43

Findmypast have quite a lot of records that I haven't even looked at. If you go onto Findmypast then click on "search" at top left of screen and then on "A-Z of record sets" you can have a look to see what they hold.

There should be newspaper records, some school records, business directories and lots more.

I'm not sure whether you can search without a subscription but if you can't then you can take out a 14 day free trial as long as you remember to cancel before the 14 days runs out otherwise they will charge you for a subscription.

Kath. x

Debra

Debra Report 29 Jun 2019 10:49

Thank you that’s most helpful x