Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Manchester rate books ? c1862/3/4/?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

margaret

margaret Report 18 Apr 2019 21:23

Looking for any evidence that James Booth a fine Spinner, previously advertised in Slaters Directory as at 10 Smith Street Ancoats. ( Not found on the census for 1861)
could be at Every Street, Ancoats, Manchester. in the years 1862 /63/64/65

Do not have access to Central Library or other paid sites.

thank you

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 Apr 2019 03:25

???????????????? related thread???

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1375783

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 19 Apr 2019 09:14

Not the only one, Sylvia.

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1375714

Looking for further information on James Booth , Fine spinner,
father of Margaret Booth,
shown on her marriage registration of 1/Jan/1861 aged 22 , at St Phillips, Manchester. -born 1839?

Margaret then residing at Every Street, All Souls, Manchester.
1861 census on 7/apr/1861 - so only possible on 1841 and 1851 census returns.

Several possibles for James Booth on census , but none? shown as a Fine Spinner.

margaret

margaret Report 19 Apr 2019 10:01

Not sure of the question.

This is a new thread.

refers to, family inquiry relating to the marriage in Jan 1861 of a Margaret Booth, to a George Massey.
This is her father, James Booth, Fine Spinner, but not found in the 1861 census, Only in the Poor rate books of 1859-1863 as at 10 Smith Street, Ancoats.

Margaret living at Every Street at her marriage, possibly with her parents? shown in rate books on paid sites?

Rambling

Rambling Report 19 Apr 2019 10:57

There is no indication of occupation, so not possible to tell if it's the same man

Occupier's first name(s) James
Occupier's last name Booth
Owner's first name(s) R E
Owner's last name Cunliffe
Date 1863
Year 1863
House number 193
Address Every Street
Location Manchester Township
Title of record Poor Rate Assessments
Archive reference M 9/40/2/249
Record set Manchester Rate Books 1706-1900
Category Census, land & surveys
Subcategory Rate Books

Rambling

Rambling Report 19 Apr 2019 11:11

This looks to be Margaret in 1861 so not with James immediately after marriage

1861 England, Wales & Scotland Census
7, Mill Street, Farington, Preston, Lancashire, England

George Massey Head Married Male 22 1839 Cotton Piecer Stockport, Lancashire, England
Margaret Massey Wife Married Female 23 1838 Cotton Rover Chorley, Lancashire, England

Is this James?

1861 England, Wales & Scotland Census
158, Skeffington Road, Preston, Lancashire, England

James Booth Head Married Male 45 1816 Cotton Spinner Chorley, Lancashire, England
Maria Booth Wife Married Female 45 1816 - Canterbury, Lancashire, England
Isaac Booth Son Unmarried Male 21 1840 Cotton Spinner Farrington, Lancashire, England
Richard Booth Son - Male 17 1844 Cotton Piecer Chorley, Lancashire, England
Joseph Booth Son - Male 9 1852 Scholar Preston, Lancashire, England
Mary Booth Daughter - Female 6 1855 Scholar Preston, Lancashire, England
Thomas Derbyshire Boarder Unmarried Male 19 1842 Cotton Weaver Farrington, Lancashire, England

margaret

margaret Report 19 Apr 2019 14:18

1/1/1861 -Margaret Booth married George Massey , Born Rostherne,Cheshire, a Baker and later Sect. of the Bakers Union in Manchester.

She died 30/9/1872, buried at Ardwick Cemetery aged 32.

So only one census entry in 1871 at Harding Street, 4 children and 2 lodgers..

Her address at marriage was Every street ,

margaret

margaret Report 19 Apr 2019 15:28

I have my tree on Family Search Org, but becuse it is World Wide Tree, I keep getting attachments for the wrong James Booth, so I have removed him now, but that probable dosnt stop people adding the wrong set, becuse the names are so common.

I always add as a ' new person' people I am not sure about - or have few facts, I dont know if thats the way to do it. But at least its not confusing others by linking entries.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 Apr 2019 17:55

The previous threads were mentioned because a lot of the information re censuses etc was found and posted on one or other of them.

margaret

margaret Report 19 Apr 2019 22:14

The problem with some of the attachments made to mine on FSO, was- no connection to the trade of the person , or age range, or even locality. And with some names - I have a few, they are so common , the combination of first and surnames, you can have hundreds... :-S Good for elimination of course.