Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

PDF death certificate v normal death certificate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jan.

Jan. Report 29 Mar 2019 18:18

I'm due to go to Somerset Heritage Centre in 3 weeks time. I'm going to be looking at Asylum records for one of my ancestors. The lady from the Heritage Centre told me on the phone today that I would need his death certificate to show them. They need proof when he died, as the law states that we can't see records from the last 100 years.

How long does it take for the GRO to post out certificates? I can't find on the GRO website how long it takes.

I was looking at the PDF option which would arrive in about 4 days, but I'm not sure if they would accept it?

This is what it says on the GRO website about PDF's.
Q4. Is a PDF the same as a certificate and can I use a PDF as evidence for official purposes, such as a passport application, or if giving notice of marriage etc.?

No. A PDF is not a certificate. A PDF will have no "evidential" value, and therefore a paper certified copy [certificate] is required for official purposes, e.g. if applying for a passport, driving licence, or where required to give notice of marriage.

I need to get it organised quickly, and because its the weekend now, they will all be closed. So, do you think the Heritage centre will accept a PDF?

Kay????

Kay???? Report 29 Mar 2019 18:37

It will tell you the expected date delivery date when you order a certified copy,,,,,,its usually about 5/6 working days,

Why not make a quick call to the HC and ask if a PDF copy will be acceptable.....its not being used for anything fraudulent so cant see why not,

a PDF copy is cheaper anyway.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 29 Mar 2019 19:04

Don’t forget that hard copies are sent 2nd Class post. If you decided to order over the weekend, it *might* be dispatched next Friday.

It’s definitely worth giving SHC a ring, not only about the pdf equivalent but also if they’ll give any leeway about access. If the inmate was born over a 100 years ago, the likelihood of them being alive is rather remote.

Jan.

Jan. Report 29 Mar 2019 19:18

Thanks Kay for your reply. I remember that the GRO tell you the date of delivery, but thought that was after you had paid, and I didn't want to do that if I can get the cheaper PDF. (I have just checked and seen that it tells you before you pay, so that's better)

I will phone them on Monday morning when they open again, to ask them about the PDF. Just wish I had thought to ask them when I was on the phone to them this afternoon! :-)

Thanks again.

Jan.

Jan. Report 29 Mar 2019 19:31

Thanks +++DetEcTive+++,
I did tell the lady on the phone this afternoon, that my ancester died in 1888.
She explained to me that the records in the book go up to the 1930's, and that is why I need proof of his death date.

I would prefer to get a PDF and will phone them again to clarify the situation on Monday.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 29 Mar 2019 19:51

In a similar situation a number of years ago, the archivist came up with an alternative suggestion.

She’d look at my relative’s records. If the person listed on the adjacent page could conceivably be alive, she’d sit with me & cover that page with a sheet of paper.

I rather think she’s misinterpreted the legislation. 100 years from the date of entry, in this case 1888 or earlier, and any other person would be deceased. Do we actually have any c132 year old people?

Bit of a nuisance but go with the flow.

Jan.

Jan. Report 29 Mar 2019 20:43

Thanks again +++DetEcTive+++ for your further comments.

It is very frustrating when things like that happen. I will see what they say when I go to the Heritage centre, and hopefully things will work out for me.