Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help - Searching for a death

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 18 Feb 2019 14:10

I am having trouble trying to find the death of an uncle. I only know the approximate year, but the search is saying no results found. If I search the civil deaths and marriages it brings up hundreds of results including marriages and births!
What am I doing wrong?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 18 Feb 2019 16:49

Welcome to the boards, Jacqueline.

Have you tried the filter on the left hand side of the search page?
You might be able to decide if one of the results is correct if you know his date of birth. That was added to the indices in the mid 1960s.

When & where do you think he may have died? GR primarily show records for England & Wales. There are different sites for Scotland & N.Ireland.

Online records for England & Wales stop at 2006.
If his estate went to Probate, you might find an entry on https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

https://www.freebmd.org.uk are aiming to transcribe up to 1992. It’s a free site for Eng & Wales.
Don’t forget that the place of registration shown is the district, not specifically where he died. A registration district could cover a number of towns & villages or even part of a city.

If you’d like to give a few details, we could see what we can do.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 18 Feb 2019 18:38

Which website have you been using?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Feb 2019 20:22

We usually suggest that you do NOT use GR ..................

the site we ourselves us for all births marriages and deaths from July 1 1837 to ca 1992 is Freebmd

Detective gave you the url above, but I will repeat it.

www.freebmd.org.uk

Try that site if you have not already done so.

If your uncle's death occurred after ca 1991/2, you will need to look on one of the subscription sites, such as Ancestry or FindMyPast ........ or ask for one of us to search for you if you do not have a sub to one of them..

Also ........... always consider that there might have been a mis-transcription of his name

margaret

margaret Report 23 Feb 2019 14:24

Are you looking for a registration of a death - and /or a burial place.

You didn't say which year, or location ,and some modern records are not online.

I have a Yorkshire death certificate for 1959 and never found the place of burial.

You can after all be buried almost anywhere you choose, it doesn't have to be near the place of death.

Linda

Linda Report 21 Apr 2019 15:24

Following this thread am I correct in assuming that death records stop at 2006?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 21 Apr 2019 15:46

If you mean English or Welsh death records, then yes, generally speaking.

Ancestry has some (I stress "some") Cemetery Register entries up to 2015.

Scottish death records go up to 2019.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 21 Apr 2019 15:47

If you like to give us your uncle's name, and where he lived, we could have a look.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 21 Apr 2019 18:58

Linda .................

ONLINE records of death, as well as births and marriages, stop at around 2006.

They are still recorded at GRO but are not released for online.

greyghost

greyghost Report 21 Apr 2019 19:56

Are you anywhere close to one of these libraries?

https://www.freebmd.org.uk/FAQ.html

12. Aren't the GRO/ONS already computerising the indexes?

The indexes are computerised from 1984 onwards. Unfortunately, the post-1984 indexes are not, at present, available free of charge on the internet but copies can be consulted free of charge in a small number of libraries;

Manchester City Library
Birmingham Central Library
Bridgend Reference and Information Library
Plymouth Central Library
City of Westminster Archives Centre
London Metropolitan Archives
The British Library

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 22 Apr 2019 07:20

What about checking the 1939 register to see if they are an open record

Assuming they were born before 1939

But then more recent deaths won't have been picked up so not always an indication

My brother died in Spain so his record is still closed

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 22 Apr 2019 10:35

Ancestry DO have many later deaths..... but not all, so it's worth looking and checking back.

My husband died in 2017 and is recorded there... but his father who died mid 2013 is not shown.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 22 Apr 2019 11:37

*If* the deceased’s Estate went to Probate, you may find an entry here
https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

Unfortunately, the free result wont tell you where they died or their age at death. The Executors can submit to any Probate Office in England or Wales, not necessarily the closest one to the deceased’s residence.
Deaths in Scotland, unless the deceased had property in England/Wales, won’t be represented. Not sure about NI.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 22 Apr 2019 12:06

That's right Det.

The probate office for here in south east Kent is Brighton, but I actually went to sign forms in Maidstone, which were then forwarded to Brighton.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 22 Apr 2019 12:07

PM sent to Jacqueline to let her know there are replies here, as she's a new poster.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 22 Apr 2019 16:17

Gwyn, OH has recently sent off the paperwork relating to his father’s Estate. His father died on the Kent/Sussex borders. Because he used the online service everything was sent to Birmingham!

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 23 Apr 2019 13:45

I did hubby's probate

He died in Rochester Kent

I sent his probate to Brighton too

Did enquire to Maidstone and they did give me some help on filing in the forms but said we don't do probate now you have to send to Brighton

It did go very smoothly once I was given advice on how to answer a couple of the questions