Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

blackwell sanatorium bromsgrove

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

zenawarrior

zenawarrior Report 5 Jan 2013 13:57

hi all
is there someone who could tell me if this sanatorium is now blackwell court scout camp site? please.
my great great grand father died there. and having taken my cub pack there to camp. got me wondering if the same place.
thank you zena

greyghost

greyghost Report 5 Jan 2013 14:14

Found on google. You can also google the scout camp

Re: Blackwell Convalesce Home
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2009, 09:19:30 PM »
Hi, this is my first post on here. Yes Blackwell Convalescent Home (also known as Blackwell Recovery Hospital and a long time ago Blackwell Sanatorium) was in Blackwell, Bromsgrove. Now it is a small housing development having been demolished in the late 1980s. During WWI it served as a recovery hospital for wounded servicemen, later Birmingham kids were sent there to recover from the ailments of the day caused by poor diet, soot, smoke and poverty etc.

zenawarrior

zenawarrior Report 5 Jan 2013 14:21

i had found that stuart but i also found a site showing photos of old bromsgrove and it has pictures of the sanitorium and a convalescent home so i am wondering which was knocked down and which became the scout camp
david died there 1895
thanks zena

greyghost

greyghost Report 5 Jan 2013 14:36

Googling found a family tree re a William CLews b 1862. It notes him to be a patient in Blackwell Road Sanatorium, Bromsgrove on the 1881 census. Hopefully the correct address - yes, found the census.

National Archives Hospital Records Database gives present name (can't tell when info dated) as Blackwell Hospital, previously known as Blackwell Convalescent Home for Birmingham and Midland Counties; Blackwell Convalescent Home; Blackwell Recovery Hospital - address Station Road, Blackwell nr Bromsgrove

The scout camp address is Agmore Road

google maps shows a large green area bounded by Blackwell Road, Station Road and Agmore Road

I read my first post , taken from the web as the Sanatorium became a Recovery Hospital became a convalescent home.

It looks as though they are all in the same area and perhaps as well as the small housing estate being built in the 80's, green area was left over for the scouts??

zenawarrior

zenawarrior Report 5 Jan 2013 14:51

thanks for your help and if this was only your first time then i think a lot of people will benifit from your help in the future
thanks again
zena x

greyghost

greyghost Report 5 Jan 2013 14:56

Thanks for your comment Zena - no not my first post, but have a long way to go to catch up with the "big names" on here. Still count myself as a rookie and can still make mistakes..............

John

John Report 5 May 2020 14:21

Hi there only joined up so I could answer your question as I saw it when I was researching the village of where I live. The sanitarium was not located at the scout camp it was in fact located the other side of the railway track which depending on where you stayed on the scout camp (Blackwell Adventure) you may have actually seen. It is now a housing estate called Laurel Bank Mews which is where I used to live and my father still does. When I was a child I found all sorts of things from the old hospital old glass bottles and penny's from the war. I'm fascinated with it's history and if anyone else has anymore information I would be hugely greatful.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 5 May 2020 15:24

John -

you'll have noticed that this thread was started 7 years ago. Zena won't be looking for replies here now.

You can try contacting her via a private message - just click on her name in green at the top of one of her posts.

Unless she's changed her email address and not told GR, GR will be able to notify her that you've sent a message, and she may (or may not, for many possible reasons) be able and willing to read it.