Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find ancestor

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Simon

Simon Report 9 Nov 2002 22:11

Reply to JACQUELINE PLUMMER. You ask why I should bother to test the software. Simple - all software should be tested to ensure it is fit for purpose. My main problem with the ethos behind GenesConnected is easily shown by reading many of the messages on this board. The impression given by GenesConnected is that all we have to do is enter some information (which 'may' be correct) and, hey presto, someone will know who 2xGreat Aunt Gladys was. Genealogy doesn't work like that. If you suspect that your Great Aunt Gladys Gumtree was born between 1865 and 1875 then the only 'sure' way of finding out is by going to a place that has the GRO Records (General Record Office) on microfiche (your local library if you are lucky, or your County Records Archive) and reading through each year (they arranged in alphabetically by surname in quarters (ie, Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun etc) for each year). When you find the person you are looking for you need to note down the Registration District and the reference code - for example 2a 1145 SEP1874 would be DOVER, entry 1145 for the September quarter in 1874. Having got that information you can then apply to the Registrar General at Southport to obtain a copy of the certificate (about £8) which will tell you her parents names, occupation etc. But, of course, GenesConnected don't tell you all this. All you need to do is enter your details and hope that someone else has already put Great Aunt Gladys Gumtree there already. Simple isn't it. Back to my original point, Jacqueline, perhaps you can tell me why the software shouldn't be tested ? Best wishes, Simon Knight-Smith.