Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finding Biological grandfather

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Crimson

Crimson Report 1 Apr 2024 12:03

Hi Everyone, hope you are having a lovely Easter!

I am looking for some advice, I recently did an ancestry DNA test and found to my surprise that I have between 25 and 41 % welsh heritage, I have lots of matches for my mums mothers side but none for her fathers side( he had at least 9 brothers & sisters) so I am assuming that he was not her real biological father. I do however have a lot of unexplained welsh heritage matches, the highest one is 44cm on Ancestry but the same is 80% on myheritage, I am thinking that my real biological GF was welsh but am surprised that there are not any matches with higher cm.
I have a rough idea where to look as the same surnames are coming up again and again but how should I go about tracking my real GF down, I am lost and don't know really how or where would be the best place to start..is 44cm too distant? I am lost and my brain is frazzled! Any advice on where to start would be greatly appreciated
:-S :-S

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 1 Apr 2024 12:16

Do you have your mother's birth cert?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 1 Apr 2024 12:38

44cms is a bit low. Other children of a grandfather or his siblings would be much higher.
41% is pretty high, but it could be Celtic rather than welsh itself.
Have any of the family of the 9 taken a test and on which site? If they have and you don’t match then I suspect your supposition could be right,

Different companies give different results as it is based on the data they each have. The match of myself to my first cousin once removed is very different on the two sites we are on. Don’t forget that you can’t have matches unless someone else has tested - this could also skew your regional results.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 1 Apr 2024 15:04

My dna on ancestry changed on updates

My paternal grandfather was German and this initially showed as a big percentage on the first analysis of my dna

Later analysis by ancestry downgraded the German side

Tbh I wouid just take the results as a ?

Getting certificates is a better way

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 1 Apr 2024 15:05

Do you want to give names and time frame

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 1 Apr 2024 15:46

As I said, it is down to the data they hold. I am a lot more European in My Heritage than Ancestry suggests and I get a lot of very peculiar matches with MH.
Yet according to another site (Living dna) I am almost wholly UK as in English, Welsh, Scots, NI and also Eire.

Certificates can help, but not if the father was not told the truth or neither knew for certain.

added: Just got my files out and 44cms takes you to around 3rd cousins - meaning a joint ancestor is likely to be a great great grandparent.