Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

John (Jack) William McGregor

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ellen

Ellen Report 18 Jul 2021 10:15

I am hoping someone might be able to help me with a query I have for John (Jack) William McGregor born 1900 in Perth Western Australia died 21st February 1938 at Royal Melbourne Hospital, buried Fawkner Cemetery Presbyterian Section ( I have a photo of his headstone)
His parents were John McGregor born 10th March 1872 at Richmond Victoria died 15th July 1954 at Perth West Australia & Lilian Eliza May Chessum born 1882 Perth West Australia died 28th January 1969 at Perth West Aust they married in 1899 at Perth
John (Jack) William left West Aust between 1930 & 1938
There is a story that he was in Jail in Victoria for stealing money from his employer,but how true that is I do not know, are there any sites I can check this out? I do have all of the info for his parents plus grandparents
Many thanks for any assistance

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 18 Jul 2021 10:59

Just posting because of the name:- certainly not necessarily your man. It's a common name:

J W McGregor in the Western Australia, Australia, Convict Records, 1846-1930
Name: J W McGregor
Date: 17 Sep 1931
Record Type: Convict Establishment, Receipts and Discharges
Reference Number: ACC 1156/R&D17

That 's a discharge record from Fremantle.
Remark in margin says "Freedom"

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 18 Jul 2021 11:02

Maybe try searching old newspapers?

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/

Ellen

Ellen Report 18 Jul 2021 13:29

I have looked on Trove in Victoria 1930 -1938

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 18 Jul 2021 14:05

Do you know his occupation?

That would be on his death cert, or his marriage cert:

John W Mcgregor
in the Australia, Marriage Index, 1788-1950
Name: John W Mcgregor
Marriage Place: Western Australia
Registration Place: Perth, Western Australia
Registration Year: 1926
Registration Number: 866

Sylvia T Stammers
in the Australia, Marriage Index, 1788-1950
Name: Sylvia T Stammers
Marriage Place: Western Australia
Registration Place: Perth, Western Australia
Registration Year: 1926
Registration Number: 866

Australian ERs show that at least 1931-37, Sylvia is at 34 Knebworth Avenue, along with John and Lillian McGregor, presumably Jack's parents.

Ellen

Ellen Report 19 Jul 2021 04:22

Yes he married Sylvia Thelma Stammers in 1926
I have found a couple of articles where he was charged & imprisoned in WA still looking

Ellen

Ellen Report 19 Jul 2021 08:58

John William McGregor death certificate states he was a Motor Mechanic aged 38 when he died in Royal Melbourne Hospital of Urethral Structure years Cystopyelonephriiis week

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 19 Jul 2021 11:47

The 1931 court discharge record I posted earlier may relate to this "receipt" record - again, don't know if this is your man, as there's no age given, and it's a common name:

John Wm McGregor
in the Western Australia, Australia, Convict Records, 1846-1930
Name: John Wm McGregor
Date: 20 Dec 1930

No detail of crime.
Remarks column says "Perth".

Then the following year, the same man was received in Fremantle on 9 Jan, and returned to Perth Police Court the same day:

John W McGregor
in the Western Australia, Australia, Convict Records, 1846-1930
Name: John W McGregor
Date: 9 Jan 1931

Ellen

Ellen Report 20 Jul 2021 02:00

These are the 2 articles I found for John William McGregor in Perth,he went to Victoria I do not know when, but I think he might have been in Gaol over there as well.
Possibly taken to Royal Melbourne Hospital from Gaol where he died

The West Australian 18 Dec 1930
ALLEGED BAD CHEQUES

John William McGregor (30) Labourer of no fixed address was charged in the Fremantle Police Court yesterday with having obtained 5/5/ from Arthur King at Perth,on November 15,by means of a valueless cheque.He was remanded to appear in the Perth Police Court, this morning.Later in the day he was charged on three similar counts.The further charges are that be obtained money and goods to the value of 5/4/8 from William Percival Clancy,on November 28, goods and cash to the value of 5/5/ from Stanley Nicholas on December 13, and goods and cash to the value of 5 pounds from an employee of Bairds Co by means of a valueless cheques

The West Australian Sat 10 Jan 1931
John William McGregor (30) admitted having obtained goods to the value of 17/4 and 6/2/3 in cash from Foy and Gibson,Pty Ltd, by falsely pretending that a cheque for 5 pounds was good and valid security.Detective Sergeant McGinty explained that neither the goods or the money had been recovered.McGregor was sentenced to two months imprisonment with hard labour,cumulative upon sentences which he is at present serving

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 20 Jul 2021 10:56

Some info simply isn’t available

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 20 Jul 2021 11:46

Does JWM's death cert give a home address?

Unless the informant was a family member (which seems unlikely from what you say) who wanted to whitewash the record, I would have thought that if he were taken to hospital from jail there would be some mention of "Prisoner" or the jail as his "home" address.

However, that doesn't discount the possibility that he had served his sentence and was a free man before his final illness struck.

There don't seem to be any Victoria court records online, at least not on Ancestry, so impossible to know if he'd been in trouble there or not.

Ellen

Ellen Report 21 Jul 2021 00:47

No address, just has in that space the informants name H Richardson Authorized Agent Royal Melbourne Hospital