Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Thomas Roberts

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 25 Feb 2021 23:23

A while ago I saw a tree on Ancestry that had a Thomas Roberts in what was obviously my family. I'm now trying to find out more about him.

Thomas Roberts b. 1880 married Jane Roberts/Bavis. There was a family story that Thomas and Jane had a baby girl who died. I found the baby girl. Now from this tree on Ancestry I find there's another baby, who likely died. I looked for the birth and death of this Thomas and decided to send for the certificates. They just arrived today.

Now, Thomas and Jane had six children (I thought) -
Catherine b. 1912
Thomas b. 1916
William b. 1918
Margaret b. 1921
Lavinia b. 1924
Louisa b. 1926

Louisa is the baby who died in 1928.
The birth certificate I received for Thomas is indeed the first child of Thomas Roberts and Jane Bavis.
The death I thought was his - the certificate says he died age 5 (1915) in Providence Hospital, of 79 Lyon Street, St. Helens, son of Thomas Roberts, Private Royal Welsh Fusiliers No. 13871 - father T. Roberts, 3 North Street, St. Leonards on Sea. This is obviously not the baby born to Thomas and Jane so when did the Thomas born to Thomas and Jane die because their other son Thomas was born in 1916. He is shown with them in the 1911 census at 10 months old.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 25 Feb 2021 23:42

Well the birth reg area of all the children was Prescot so any death is likely to be prescot too

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 26 Feb 2021 00:00

The Thomas who died in 1915 died in Providence Hospital which is in St. Helens and death registered in Prescot.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 26 Feb 2021 07:17

He was registered as Thomas George

Maybe he went on to call himself George

There is a tree on ancestry but it starts with the daughter born 1912 although they do have the 1911 census image included on the tree

Ancestry too connects him to the 1915 death

Is it possible the dad had joined up for ww1 ?

Kay????

Kay???? Report 26 Feb 2021 10:17

Deaths Jun 1912
Roberts Thomas 1 Prescot 8b 917.

If he died just prior to a 2nd birthday it would still be registered as aged 1.

Deaths Dec 1911
Roberts Thomas 1 Warrington 8c 232

Warrington and Prescot are fairly close in distance.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Feb 2021 11:09

Births Sep 1912 (>99%)
Roberts Catherine Bavis Prescot 8b 155
Births Mar 1916 (>99%)
Roberts Thomas Bavis Prescot 8b 1426
Births Sep 1918 (>99%)
Roberts William Bavis Prescot 8b 1273
Births Jun 1924 (>99%)
Roberts Lavinia Bavis Prescot 8b 1388
Births Dec 1926 (>99%)
Roberts Louisa Bavis Prescot 8b 1201

NO record as far as I can see for Margaret on freebmd - where did you find her birth info?

EDITED

In view of her DoB as per 1939, is this her birth?

Births Sep 1921 (>99%)
Roberts Margaret Roberts Prescot 8b 1559

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Feb 2021 11:12

For INFO only

Marriages Sep 1909 (>99%)
BAVI_ Jane Prescot 8b 1164
ROBERTS Thomas Prescot 8b 1164

ROBERTS, THOMAS BAVIS
GRO Reference: 1910 S Quarter in PRESCOT Volume 08B Page 782

The 1912 death posted by Kay looks the most likely

The age is wrong on the 1915 one........despite what Ancestry's system thinks

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 26 Feb 2021 16:49

Thanks everyone.
The death posted by Kay for 1912 in Prescot looks very promising, I missed that one. I’ll need to get the certificate to be sure.
I have all the info on the rest of the family, I just got thrown by the discovery of this extra child that nobody seemed to know about.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Feb 2021 16:55

I had something similar, although it was info I found which no-one else connected had apparently been aware of.

My stepmother had five brothers, and knew of an older sister who had died in infancy. What none of them ever mentioned (probably didn't know) was that they had had another sibling - male - who also died in infancy

They are all dead now, so I can't share the info with them, which is a shame

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 26 Feb 2021 17:29

Yes, same situation here, all dead. It does seem such a shame.

Going back to your post on Margaret Roberts. The one showing Roberts as mother’s maiden name is correct. Margaret’s mother, Jane, was a Roberts but then ‘married’ a Bavis, then Jane herself married a Roberts. Jane sometimes used the name Roberts and sometimes Bavis on documents.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Feb 2021 17:37

:-D :-D :-D