Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Worrall missing baptisms

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ashley

Ashley Report 27 Jan 2021 17:31

Hi

I can find a whole family of James and Patience Worrall in the 1881 census living in Albert Street, Broughton, Salford. I can find the births of all the children in the GRO confirming that the mother's maiden name was Dunkerley (some variations on spelling). I can also find most of the baptisms of the children. (some variations on surname spelling)

Emma - bp 1863 St Philips
James - bp 1867 St Philips
Elizabeth Ann - bp 1869 St Philips
Alice - bp 1871 Christ Church
Joseph - bp 1875 Christ Church
Charles - bp 1878 Christ Church.

I can't find Ada's baptism but as she is the youngest and was born in Salford whereas the others were born in Bradford, it could be that those church records have not been transcribed.

What is puzzling me and where I hope someone here can help is why I cannot find the baptism of Mary Ellen.
She was born in 1866 so comes between Emma and James. She was born in Beswick, Bradford, Manchester just like them. If the first three children were baptised at St Philips, why wasn't she or is it just that the records for 1866 are missing or not transcribed?

Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated as this is the one I want to find as she is my Great Grandmother.

Many thanks

greyghost

greyghost Report 27 Jan 2021 17:42

For our info

1881 England, Wales & Scotland Census
5, Albert Street, Broughton, Salford, Lancashire, England

Members that resided in the household at the time of the census.
First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Sex Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
James Worrall Head Married Male 37 1844 Engine Tenter Driv Manchester, Lancashire, England
Patience Worrall Wife Married Female 41 1840 - Stockport, Lancashire, England
Emma Worrall Daughter Single Female 17 1864 Twine Maker Beswick, Lancashire, England
Mary E Worrall Daughter Single Female 15 1866 Twine Maker Beswick, Lancashire, England
James Worrall Son Single Male 13 1868 Rope Twister Mkr Beswick, Lancashire, England
Elizabeth A Worrall Daughter Single Female 11 1870 Scholar Beswick, Lancashire, England
Alice Worrall Daughter Single Female 9 1872 Scholar Bradford, Lancashire, England
Joseph Worrall Son Single Male 6 1875 Scholar Bradford, Lancashire, England
Charles Worrall Son Single Male 3 1878 - Bradford, Lancashire, England
Ada Worrall Daughter Single Female 0 1881 - Broughton, Lancashire, England
Eliza Hollingsworth Boarder Single Female 17 1864 Twine Maker Salford, Lancashire, England

greyghost

greyghost Report 27 Jan 2021 17:55

From Find My Past

Found by inputting possible year +/-, name of Church and Mary, Father James

England, Greater Manchester Baptisms 1571-1910

First name(s) Mary Ellen
Last name Warren
Sex Female
Year 1865
Date 17 Sep 1865
Place Manchester, St Philip
Town Manchester
County Lancashire
Country England
Father's first name(s) James
Father's last name Warren
Mother's first name(s) Patience
Mother's last name Warren
Register type Christening
Record set England, Greater Manchester Baptisms 1571-1910
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Parish Baptisms

Original shows surname Warren.

Of Appleton Street. Father an Engine Driver

Ashley

Ashley Report 27 Jan 2021 17:59

thank you that is the one I was looking for. I tried lots of combinations of surname spellings but not Warren!
The occupation of James is correct so it matches.

Mission accomplished :-)