Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do I get someone to do my tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tay

Tay Report 8 Nov 2020 20:44

Hi all

Hope I'm on the right board here, if not please direct me to the right one.

I started doing my family tree 10+ years ago , however due to a variety of circumstances I never got any further.
I always promised my mum I would find out about our ancestors and where we came from. Now she is really ill and I still don't have the time or knowhow to complete it for her. How do I go about finding someone who does this for a living. Someone who can do the research for me, someone with a lot more knowhow than I have.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 8 Nov 2020 20:55

Depends how far you want to branch out

If there was siblings in the trees will you want to follow their marriages children etc ?

Really wouldn’t advise paying a researcher especially as you won’t know how accurate they may be

I am a believer too in buying certificates to double check am staying on the right tracks

Can’t you take up on what you already have done

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 8 Nov 2020 20:58

Google "genealogical researcher uk" (assuming you're in the UK!) and lots of results will come up.

Hiring a professional will be expensive.

On the other hand, if you like to give us what details you know, we (the volunteer helpers and genealogy addicts) will be only too delighted to work it all out for you.
Free!

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 9 Nov 2020 08:43

If you do go down the professional route then there is a professional association - AGRA.

If you haven’t looked at your tree for years you will be surprised how much more there is on line.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 9 Nov 2020 09:05

That’s what this site is about. The members who help on here would be only too pleased to look for info for you - assuming your family is UK-based. It’s less easy if not.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 9 Nov 2020 11:55

It is possible that Tay also doesn't have the time to sort out all the various bits of information she would get from members on here.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 9 Nov 2020 12:03

The charges look extortionate to me

The first site I've looked at quotes £1975 for a BASIC package, at £26.00 per hour

So, Tay, google 'genealogical research' and look at the results

Kuros

Kuros Report 9 Nov 2020 14:59

People on here are wonderful at helping so please try here first. I'll always be grateful to a lady who was here about ten years ago, Ann Yeomans, who found the missing link to my granny's family after I'd been searching for years. If people on here can't find something then it probably doesn't exist!

Annie

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 9 Nov 2020 15:11

Maybe Tay could let us know which part of the country she is looking at as some areas raise different problems, such as Ireland. Someone here may have expertise in the right area.

She could also post her grandparents details, if she has them and someone could check for trees on other sites. This might solve everything.

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 11 Nov 2020 16:36

There is also the rootschat site which has specific boards for the different countries and even counties within the countries

just google rootschat (free site)

Tay

Tay Report 9 Aug 2021 10:50

Good morning all

First time of being back on here this year so I apologise for not responding sooner.
Thank you for all your messages and I'm going to try and dedicate more time to this from now on. It's something I've always loved, but working full time and being a carer doesn't always allow the time.

:-D

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 10 Aug 2021 18:51

You obviously wanted help when you posted your original enquiry, so why not let the members on here give you some assistance?