Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Margaret Mary Murray

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 27 Oct 2020 19:20

Think it's time to resurrect the search for Margaret Mary Murray. I am unable to find her in any census.

Her two marriages and death cert put her being born c1877. The 1939 register says July 4th 1887, but I'm sure the year is incorrect. My mother thinks she was Irish but who knows? According to her marriage certs. her father was Edward Murray, builder.

I can't find her in any census. I was really hoping to find her in 1911 but she's not there.

This is what I have:

1902 marries William Pardo Fergsuson at Freshwater, Isle of Wight, 15 days after he returns from the Boer War. Her father is Edward a builder. Freshwater was William's hometown.

William Pardo dies March 11th, 1911 - right before the census! Can't find Margaret. No children that I can find. Nothing mentioned in his army records about children either.

1914 marries Frank Riddle in Portsmouth. Father Edward, a builder. Has 2 children with Frank.

1961 dies in Portsmouth age 83 which ties in with dob on marriage cert.

I know all about William Pardo. His army records are on Ancestry.

Previous thread on the subject:

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1130033

Many thanks,

Rose

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 Oct 2020 19:29

Much better to use the previous thread.

I, for one, don't like jumping back and forth between threads

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 28 Oct 2020 18:55

Is it now time to try dna test to try and work out where she came from?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 28 Oct 2020 19:16

I don't understand how the poster's DNA would tell her where this woman 'came from'

Surely, only the woman's DNA would tell her that?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 28 Oct 2020 20:17

It depends on the matches you get. With any luck she could get a group of matches which may lead to the family of Margaret Mary and thence where she came from.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 29 Oct 2020 19:13

Namelessone,

Someone actually bought me 23andMe but all my DNA relatives appear to be 3rd and 4th cousins living in the US. There are no trees attached to them so it's hard to make a link.

I haven't been too impressed with it so far. I understand most of the users purchase it for health traits.

Rose

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 29 Oct 2020 19:19

Hi Rose,
If you upload it to Gedmatch you will get the matches from other sites that have also uploaded theirs. It is free to do and it does indicate what sites the matches come from.

Worth a try.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 29 Oct 2020 22:06

Thanks Namelessone.

Rose