Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hyde

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Purplemist

Purplemist Report 21 Oct 2020 15:59

Hello can anyone tell me what a tag is I found where my relative was buried I got in touch with the church but they said they need a tag to find burial I' ve no idea what that is the burial was 1925

Thank you

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 Oct 2020 16:11

Couldn’t you ask the church?

Did you give them the exact date?

Are you 100% certain that the person was buried - and in the specific churchyard?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Oct 2020 16:32

I think you should only need to give them the name and date of death for them to find the burial record (if that is what you are wanting to find).

How have you found the burial place if you haven't found the burial record?

Usually a tag would just be a marker for the grave.

Kath. x

Purplemist

Purplemist Report 21 Oct 2020 16:39

I have the death certificate so the date is correct it was the church who wanted the tag to find grave

Thank you

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Oct 2020 16:40

Is the burial in a church yard or in a cemetery?

Kath. x

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 Oct 2020 16:42

The date on the death cert isn’t burial date.

As I asked before, are you 100% certain the deceased was buried? Also, how did you decide where he/she was buried?

A ‘tag’ is something on which to base a search, at least that’s how I would interpret it.

Purplemist

Purplemist Report 21 Oct 2020 16:49

It's a church yard It's been a couple of years since I got the information and now back on my search If I remember correct it was off a disc for burial's I will have to go back to my info and check

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Oct 2020 17:00

If the church is still there and open then they should have the Sexton's Book with the position of all the graves.

If the church is not still there then their records would be with the County Records Office, which may or may not have the position of the grave.

Kath. x

Purplemist

Purplemist Report 21 Oct 2020 17:04

The church is still there what is the Sexton's book??

Mary

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Oct 2020 17:09

The sexton is a person who looks after the church and churchyard. Most sexton's would have a record book.

We found out the grave reference for my husband's baby brother who died the year before hubby was born from the sexton's book which was kept at another church because the church at the churchyard where he was buried had been demolished.

We had never heard of the existence of these books until the vicar of the church where it was kept told us about it. The County Record Office told us which church had the records.

Kath. x

Purplemist

Purplemist Report 21 Oct 2020 17:14

Thank you that is very interesting I will get back to the church and see if they one
Mary

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Oct 2020 17:21

You're welcome. I hope you find the details you are looking for.

If the church is local to you, would you be able to search the churchyard yourself? We have spent many a pleasant summers afternoon trampsing round church graveyards looking at headstones.

Kath. x