Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1851 census - John Daniell b. 1787

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 2 May 2020 17:14

My main tree is on Ancestry.co.uk. I am unable to find the 1851 census for the following family on Ancestry, however I can find them easily on FMP. I wrote to Ancestry and they tell me they are able to find the record. I've tried again and again, however no luck. I really want to add this record to my Ancestry tree.

Is there someone who has an Ancestry account that can find this census below? And if so what search terms do you use to find it?

Many thanks!

1851 Census - Bread Street, Warminster, Wiltshire

Household Members
Members that resided in the household at the time of the census.
First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Sex Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
John Daniell Head Married Male 64 1787 Gardener Warminster, Wiltshire, England
Mary Ann Daniell Wife Married Female 39 1812 - Warminster, Wiltshire, England
Louisa Daniell Daughter - Female 18 1833 Dressmaker Warminster, Wiltshire, England
Mary Daniell Daughter - Female 15 1836 Dressmaker Warminster, Wiltshire, England
Thomas Daniell Son - Male 14 1837 Carpenter Warminster, Wiltshire, England
Ann Daniell Daughter - Female 12 1839 Scholar Warminster, Wiltshire, England
Jane Daniell Daughter - Female 11 1840 Scholar Warminster, Wiltshire, England
Hester Daniell Daughter - Female 9 1842 Scholar Warminster, Wiltshire, England
Elizabeth Daniell Daughter - Female 6 1845 Scholar Warminster, Wiltshire, England
John Daniell Son - Male 5 1846 Scholar Warminster, Wiltshire, England
Rosa Daniell Daughter - Female 2 1849 - Warminster, Wiltshire, England
John Daniell's Census Details
Details taken from the original census record.
First name(s) John
Last name Daniell
Relationship Head
Marital status Married
Sex Male
Age 64
Birth year 1787
Occupation Gardener
Birth place England
Birth place as transcribed England
Birth town Warminster
Birth town as transcribed Warminster
Birth county Wiltshire
Birth county as transcribed Wiltshire
Street Bread Street
Town Warminster
Parish Warminster
City -
County Wiltshire
Hamlet -
Parliamentary borough -
Municipal ward -
Registration district Warminster
Archive reference HO107
Piece number 1843
Folio 113
Page 23
Record set 1851 England, Wales & Scotland Census
Category Census, land & surveys
Subcategory Census
Collections from Great Britain, England

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 2 May 2020 17:34

I can't see them on Ancestry

But you don't need the record to be on there to add the info your tree

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 2 May 2020 17:39

Hi Erika,
Thanks for looking. I've added the info manually, but I want the source in there too automatically with the record.
It's so strange that Ancestry replied to my mail that they can trace the census record. I've sent a reply to tell them I still can't find it and if they can send me a link.
Thanks again,
Rebecca

safc

safc Report 2 May 2020 17:57

hi
can you just look for rosa 1849
and hester

with no surname

Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 2 May 2020 18:03

Hi Safc,

I tried looking for Rosa (no surname born 1849), but not in combination with Hester. Have you managed to find the census on Ancestry with that combination?

I've just tried this combination, but nothing showing for me on Ancestry.

Thanks,
Rebecca

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 2 May 2020 21:25

Now that you’ve ‘marked as answered’, people will think you need no further help

mgnv

mgnv Report 5 May 2020 02:24

Here's a comparison of the Warminster rego district 1851-61 counts for Ancestry and FMP:

Registration district: WARMINSTER

All 1851 England Census Results
Results 1–20 of 11,016
All 1861 England Census Results
Results 1–20 of 15,992

Results for 1851 England, Wales & Scotland Census
17,054 results
Results for 1861 England, Wales & Scotland Census
15,966 results

Whilst they are close in 1861 = just differ by 30 or 2 per thousand
(like if FMP turned 2 pages at once while digitizing/transcribing)
they are way off in 1851 - Ancestry has missed a large chunk of the head of the file - over 6000 names.

The first name I could find that Ancestry indexed for 1851 Warminster RD was John Knee

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGZZ-KMD
Anne Sanger abt 1779 [ho107/1843/218/1]
------------------[ho107/1843/219/2 although Ancestry says it's ho107/1843/218/? with no page number I can guess]
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGZZ-KM6
View Record John Knee Sarah abt 1823 Somerset, Warminst Son-in-law Warminster, Wiltshire
View Record Sarah Knee Anne,John abt 1823 Somerset, Warminst Daughter Warminster, Wiltshire
View Record Henry Knee John,Sarah abt 1848 Somerset, Warminst Grandson Warminster, Wiltshire
View Record Martha Knee John,Sarah abt 1850 Somerset, Warminst Granddaughter Warminster, Wiltshire
View Record Mary Knee John,Sarah abt 1850 Somerset, Warminst Granddaughter Warminster, Wiltshire

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGZZ-KCN
View Record Henry Kyale Mary A abt 1818 Somerset, Warminst Head Warminster, Wiltshire
View Record Mary A Kyale Henry abt 1818 Somerset, Warminst Wife Warminster, Wiltshire
View Record Julia Kyale Henry,Mary A abt 1843 Somerset, Warminst Daughter Warminster, Wiltshire
View Record Sydney Kyale Henry,Mary A abt 1844 Somerset, Warminst Son Warminster, Wiltshire
View Record Samuel Kyale Henry,Mary A abt 1846 Somerset, Warminst Son Warminster, Wiltshire
View Record Ann Kyale Henry,Mary A abt 1849 Somerset, Warminst Daughter Warminster, Wiltshire
View Record John Kyale Henry,Mary A abt 1851 Somerset, Warminst Son Warminster, Wiltshire
View Record William Kyale Henry,Mary A abt 1841 Somerset, Warminst Son Warminster, Wiltshire

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGZZ-KC5
View Record Sarah King abt 1781 Somerset, Warminst Head Warminster, Wiltshire
View Record Caroline Turvil Sarah abt 1806 Somerset, Warminst Daughter Warminster, Wiltshire

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGZZ-KCT
View Record James Coombes Sarah abt 1787 Somerset, Warminst Head Warminster, Wiltshire
View Record Sarah Coombes James abt 1791 Somerset, Warminst Wife Warminster, Wiltshire
View Record John Coombes James,Sarah abt 1835 Somerset, Warminst Son Warminster, Wiltshire

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGZZ-KC1
View Record Sarah Brown abt 1780 Somerset, Chippenham Head Warminster, Wiltshire
View Record Charlotte Baynter abt 1816 Somerset, Hpter, Sendamore Lodger Warminster, Wiltshire

So could this account for the missing 6038 names?
I'll use an RD I'm more familiar with - Leigh in Lancs
There piece 2804 had 14296 residents and 465 ff (folios) but if I remove ED 3g + 3h, I'm down to 436 ff and 14296 - 313 - 578 = 12665 residents.
Both are roughly twice the size we're after, so I would certainly say we're in the right ball-park - I wish I could say the same for my grandson - he ought to be playing Little League now.