Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

William and Harriet Marson after 1911

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 11 Apr 2020 12:35

I'm hoping for some help to solve the mystery what happened to William Marson b 1857 and his wife Harriet b 1845. Both were born in Notts, but in 1901 and 1911 they are on the census at Souldrop, Beds. William is a horsekeeper on a farm. I can find no trace of them after 1911. I can't find any death regns in Beds for them. It's likely that their accommodation in Souldrop was tied to William's job, so they may have had to move when he retired. They had 2 daughters, Florence and Ada, and Harriet had a son John Bell born before she married. All 3 children ended up in Hendon, both John and Florence married there and Ada is there on the 1911 census with husband Walter East. Florence married after the 1911 census in Hendon, but was on that census in Hampstead, she married William Moore. All that said, I can't find any trace of deaths for William and Harriet in the Hendon area either. Marson is a surname that tends to get mis-spelt/mistranslated and for some reason I tend not to have much luck using wildcards. Can anyone else track them down?

safc

safc Report 11 Apr 2020 12:57

????

Record Transcription:
England & Wales Deaths 1837-2007

First name(s) WILLIAM
Last name MARSON
Gender Male
Birth day -
Birth month -
Birth year 1857
Age 71
Death quarter 4
Death year 1928
District Willesden
County Middlesex
Volume 3A
Page 307
Country England
Record set England & Wales Deaths 1837-2007
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Civil Deaths & Burials
Collections from Great Britain, England

safc

safc Report 11 Apr 2020 13:00

????

Record Transcription:
England & Wales Deaths 1837-2007

First name(s) HARRIET
Last name MARSON
Gender Female
Birth day -
Birth month -
Birth year 1847
Age 67
Death quarter 1
Death year 1914
District Hampstead
County London
Volume 1A
Page 864
Country England
Record set England & Wales Deaths 1837-2007
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Civil Deaths & Burials
Collections from Great Britain, England

Julie

Julie Report 11 Apr 2020 13:03

I missed that one somehow! My knowledge of the geography of Middlesex is poor, but google shows that the 2 locations are not that far apart,so it's a distinct possibility.

Julie

Julie Report 11 Apr 2020 13:09

Hampstead is even closer than Willesden and is also conistent with Florence, as I've found a birth regn for a child in Hampstead 1915. I've replicated my searches for both death regns and they don't come up, which site did each of you use to find the 2 entries?

safc

safc Report 11 Apr 2020 13:16

found on find my past

these bottom 2 on free bmd

https://www.freebmd.org.uk/

Deaths Dec 1928 (>99%)
Marson William 71 Willesden 3a 307

Deaths Mar 1914 (>99%)
Marson Harriet 67 Hampstead 1a 864

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 11 Apr 2020 13:19

They're also on Ancestry.

This also looks like Harriet's burial:

Harriet Marson
in the Web: UK, Burial and Cremation Index, 1576-2014
Name: Harriet Marson
Register Type: Burial
Death Date: abt 1914
Burial or Cremation Date: 21 Mar 1914
Burial or Cremation Place: Camden, London, England

Julie

Julie Report 11 Apr 2020 13:34

Thanks both, can't work out why they didn't come up for me before, they do now on a slightly different approach.