Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Address in 1851 census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 8 Dec 2019 23:19

Can anyone decipher the address for James Brock and wife Elizabeth in the 1851 census please. He is shown as head (age 24), born Ayrshire, Scotland, and his wife is 26, they have two children, Charles Edwin and Francis.

I have all the information on this family so please don't go research them, I just can't decipher where they were living in 1851.

Thanks.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 9 Dec 2019 00:39

Are the children with them in 1851?

I can't see the family at all in 1851. What county are they living in?

Kath. x

safc

safc Report 9 Dec 2019 00:44

Census Year County Place Civil Parish Ecclesiastical Parish Piece Enumeration District Folio Page Schedule House Number House or Street Name
1851 Nottinghamshire (NTT) Southwell Edwinstowe Edwinstowe 2135 5b 105 28 86 Tudsburys Houses
Surname Forenames Relationship Marital Status Sex Age Occupation Birth County Birth Place Disability Notes
BROCK James Head M M 24 Game Keeper AYR -
BROCK Elizabeth Wife M F 26 NTT Bilsthorpe
BROCK Charles E Son - M 4 Scholar NTT Bilsthorpe
BROCK Francis Son - M 11m NTT Edwinstowe

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 9 Dec 2019 09:22

The transcription above looks reasonable, although there seems to be an 's' on the end on the image - with the addition of 'South Forest'

Ancestry don't give any address details in their transcription

Name: James Brock
Estimated birth year: abt 1827
Relation: Head
Spouse's name: Elizabeth Brock
Where born: Aryshire, Scotland
Civil Parish: Edwinstowe
Phillimore Ecclesiastical Parish Maps:
View related Ecclesiastical Parish
Town: Edwinstowe
County/Island: Nottinghamshire
Registration district: Southwell
Sub-registration district: Kneesal
ED, institution, or vessel: 5b
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 86
Piece: 2135
Folio: 105
Page Number: 28
Household Members:
Name Age
James Brock 24
Elizabeth Brock 26
Charles Edwin Brock 4
Francis Brock 11 Mo

Googling produces results for Tudsbury Terrace in Sutton in Ashfield, so it appears to have a Nottinghamshire context

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 9 Dec 2019 12:14

Previous long thread:

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1374782

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 9 Dec 2019 12:21

I agree re 1851 address.

Image says Tudsburys Houses, South Forest.
Parish of Edwinstowe, Hamlet of Hoylegrove.

The houses were named after a Tudsbury family who lived in Edwinstowe for generations (from a Google search) - for instance:

The Tudsbury family have been woodcarvers in Edwinstowe since 1627. Richard exhibited at the Great Exhibition in London in 1851. Walter carved the lectern at St. Mary’s Church. . . . . . .
https://tinyurl.com/wkobjue

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 9 Dec 2019 12:43

On the census image, Tudsbury's Houses come between Rufford Road and Robin Hood Houses.

Today, there's a Robin Hood Avenue at right angles to Rufford Road, so I suppose Tudsburys Houses would have been around there - though disappeared long ago.

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 11 Dec 2019 19:18

Thanks everyone.