Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Prison Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 5 Dec 2019 17:53

Does anyone know if it's possible to obtain the court records of someone who has spent time in prison. The case was a DUI and the prison was an open prison.

Thanks.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 5 Dec 2019 17:59

As you refer to an open prison, one assumes this is comparatively recent.

No idea what a DUI is, but, the obvious answer to any query of this nature is to google

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 5 Dec 2019 18:06

It was late 1960's - DUI is drunk under the influence. I obviously had tried Google first.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 5 Dec 2019 18:55

Driving under the influence would be more likely ;-)

Is this connected to a thread on here?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 5 Dec 2019 19:15

Can’t see those records would be open to the public

It’s personal info after all so the privacy laws would be invoked

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 5 Dec 2019 19:31

I wondered if these records would be in the public domain. The person involved was my uncle, now deceased. He never married and I am his eldest surviving relative so I was hoping that I might be allowed to access them somewhere, whether there would be somewhere I could write to.

Thanks.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 5 Dec 2019 20:24

No you wont be given access to the pre- court trial papers or time served account as they are covered by 100 year closure,,,,,the reason and outcome maybe have been an item of interest and made into a local newspaper.

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 5 Dec 2019 23:11

Okay, thanks.

Ru

Ru Report 6 Dec 2019 01:23

You could try the Newspapers as I am sure it would be reported as a relative of mine was and it stated his fine, etc., Interesting it was 10 Shillings for not ensuring the curtains were drawn during the blackout in WW2. I also noted one could obtain this information from National Archives, but again accuracy of advice can only be tested.

Do you know the name of the prison where he served his time?

Ru

Ru

Ru Report 6 Dec 2019 01:36

Hi Yvonne, have just googled and found that The National Archives do hold information, but it appears from 1972. Actually the Drink Driving Laws came in during the year 1960 so your uncle may have been one of the first to suffer a sentence.

Skip to Main Content
The National Archives

Home > Help with your research > Research guides > Criminal courts in England and Wales from 1972
How to look for records of... Criminal courts in England and Wales from 1972

If you contact National Archives, they may point you in the right direction or give you advice on what you can and cannot obtain at this stage. It is worth a read and can tell you a bit about the Crown and Magistrates Court. I am sorry I cannot help further. Good old trial and error to find info these days.

Good luck
Ru

Google this: Criminal courts in England and Wales from 1972!

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 8 Dec 2019 01:51

Thanks Ru, I'll check this out.