Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

mary allan stewart

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

lexi

lexi Report 28 May 2014 15:42

hi i havnt done any work on my tree for quite awhile as i have come to a standstill
my paternal grandmother was born on dec 14th 1906 in morrison street edinburgh her mother was a mary jane stewart listed as a domestic nurse who gave her address as cherry cottage edzell forfar no father was listed.
my granny was adopted in 1907and lived in loanhead midlothian for the rest of her life she was adopted by the tennants her adopted mother was mary richardson tennant .i was given this information by my dad. but we havnt been able to find out anything more. any help or suggestions would be brillaint thankyou :-)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 May 2014 15:55

When she married what surname did she use, did she name a father on her marriage record

After 1901 census you would need Scotlands People to view the 1911 census and her marriage

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 28 May 2014 17:45

Have you tried tracing the family that adopted her? Quite often at that time it would be family members who brought up illegitimate children. Also have you checked her birth registration on Scotlandspeople to see if her birth was also recorded in the Register of Corrected Entries. It would be noted on that registered if the mother had proved paternity of the child.

lexi

lexi Report 28 May 2014 18:16

hi,
she married my grandfather william montgomery on 29th april 1932 she was listed as living in engine road loanhead with her adoptive parents her mother was on cert as mary jane stewart and my grandmother was listed as mary allan stewart tennant.there is no father listed.

lexi

lexi Report 28 May 2014 18:18

that does make sense as her adoptive mother has the name mary too could possibly be her mothers aunt ?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 28 May 2014 18:24

The suggestion that the Tennants might be relations of your grandmother and gr-grandmother seems possible, in view of the name Richardson.

This is your grandmother's birth record:

1907 STEWART MARY ALLAN RICH(ardson) F ST GILES EDINBURGH CITY/MIDLOTHIAN 685/04 0020

Mary Allan Richardson Stewart (illegitimate)
14/12/1906, at 87 Morrison Street

Other details as you've said.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 31 Mar 2024 11:20

New thread

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1402723

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 31 Mar 2024 11:50

The OP on the new thread says she is not Lexi - the OP on this thread.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 31 Mar 2024 11:51

Click on the name ;-) ;-)

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 31 Mar 2024 11:55

Odd! You’d think she would recognise her own name.

Helsbels16

Helsbels16 Report 31 Mar 2024 14:21

I am Helen Montgomery. I think Lexi is my sister This certainly isn’t me! I have explained that on my thread I can’t ask her as we don’t speak. I am very sorry for the confusion. And have no idea why she would use my name to research the family tree. :-|

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 31 Mar 2024 14:30

Thank you for clearing that up.

A shame that siblings can fall out, but, of course it does happen.

Odd that she used your name on the account.

Helsbels16

Helsbels16 Report 31 Mar 2024 15:07

You can choose your friends but can’t choose family ? I’m going to see if I can get someone to ask her. Not sure if she’s still active on here.
Anyway thank you to everyone who’s helped and suggested places for me too search.
Happy Easter all !!!

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 31 Mar 2024 15:44

Lexi may not be active on here but she is still a member, that is how Erika spotted that both of you have an account in the same name. This is different to your board names.

You can click on her name and see for yourself. You can also do this to send her a message. As long as Lexi has kept her contact details up to date Genes will let her know.

Helsbels16

Helsbels16 Report 31 Mar 2024 18:27

Ahh thank you. I will do that.