Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for information on grandparents

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Colin

Colin Report 22 May 2014 22:23

I have recently learnt that my grandparents, John and Frances Moreland, were killed in an accident in Addlestone High Street, Addlestone, Surrey on the 18th January 1960. They were knocked off their bicycles by an intoxicated car driver. I would be grateful for any information by way of coroners, police or newspaper reports relating to this incident.
Many thanks for any help.
Colin

Colin

Colin Report 22 May 2014 22:30

Thank you Reggie for you very quick reply. Yes, have tried that and am still searching.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 22 May 2014 23:45

I suspect you already have their death certificates but just in case you haven't here are the references:-

First name(s) JOHN
Last name MORELAND
Gender Male
Birth day -
Birth month -
Birth year 1900
Age 60
Death quarter 1
Death year 1960
District SURREY NORTH WESTERN
District number -
County Surrey
Country England
Volume 5G
Page 810

and:-

First name(s) FRANCES
Last name MORELAND
Gender Unknown
Birth day -
Birth month -
Birth year 1900
Age 60
Death quarter 1
Death year 1960
District SURREY NORTH WESTERN
District number -
County Surrey
Country England
Volume 5G
Page 810

Kath. x

Colin

Colin Report 10 Jun 2014 00:36

To Reggie and Kathleenbell,
thank you so much for your help. I have been able to find a great deal of information.

Colin

Colin Report 7 Oct 2021 14:07

Hi everyone, just thought I would bring this one up again. Although I had good advice seven years ago from Erikah, Kathleenbell and Reggie and managed to find quite a lot of info, I never found the name of the car driver and or was he in fact intoxicated as believed. Maybe, someone knows the answers!!! Many thanks for reading.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 7 Oct 2021 14:29

A court case can take a long time to be listed and if reported then the driver would usualy be named. Did you carry on working through the newspapers?

Deborah

Deborah Report 9 Oct 2021 15:33

Colin, I used to work in Addlestone, and lived nearby at that time. The newspapers you probably need would be the Surrey Herald and the Surrey Comet.

I don't think you will find them on BNA or FMP, you would need to visit the local library, I did have a quick look today, but for some reason most of your thread seems to have disappeared, which is a pity because I may have known about it or know someone who did. So don't know what the full story is now with the absence of all the replies, just wondering who Reggie is??

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 9 Oct 2021 16:31

Deborah

Reggie was a genes member who would do look ups

Isn’t a member anymore now

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 9 Oct 2021 16:45

I think Reggie is still on the boards, but she uses another board name now.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 9 Oct 2021 16:58

That's correct, Kucinta.

(Not me )

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 9 Oct 2021 17:00

Definitely not you AG :-D :-D

Deborah

Deborah Report 9 Oct 2021 17:02

Just wondered why a helper would delete all their posts, only noticed this one because it was Addlestone, a place I know very well, still do, got family close by, thought the missing threads may have helped. As it was so close to home for me it interested me.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 12 Oct 2021 03:04

Deborah ......... some people think that the threads are all kept on their computers, and therefore are taking up room on their computer's memory.

So they delete their own posts when they think the information is no longer needed.

Most annoying, as you've found.

These threads are not kept on your computer but on GR's own computers, that's why you have to use the internet to access them!

Deborah

Deborah Report 12 Oct 2021 06:39

Thank you SylviainCanada, hadn't thought of that.

Colin

Colin Report 12 Oct 2021 16:18

HI Debora, many thanks for your help and your time to visit the library. I am away from home at the present and have had a little computer blip.I would like to add that I have not deleted any part of this thread. I also often wondered what happened to Reggie, thank you to the other helpers.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 13 Oct 2021 20:16

Didn’t know reggie is still around on the boards

:-(