Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

John HOBSON of Croft-on-Tees - b. abt 1721

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Edwin

Edwin Report 3 Jan 2014 01:56

John Hobson married Margaret Markham in St Peter's Church, Croft, on 28 Sept 1745. At that time he was recorded as a cordwainer. In October 1792 a John Hobson died in Croft, and on 27 June 1800 Margaret Hobson was buried there. I know this much from my father's notes when he and I visited the Rector of Croft in about 1957 and recorded the details from the parish records which were then held by him in the Rectory.

Also recorded from these records, substantiated by a copy of Margaret Hobson's (née Markham's) will are the following details:

John Hobson bap 27 Aug 1747 died November 1747.
John Hobson bap 14 November 1749. His will was proved on 2 Sept 1808.

This second John married 3 times; to Jane SIMPSON in 1772 – producing William, John, Robert, John, Jane and Anne; to Mary ROBINSON in 1783 – producing Ralph, Ann and Mary; and to Sarah POTTS between 1788 and 1791 – producing Robert and William. All these births were in Croft, as Father recorded them at the same time. I presume also that this second John’s younger siblings – Ann, Ralph, Elizabeth, Robert, Hannah and Mary (as recorded in his will) were also ‘of Croft’.

Robert married Elizabeth DODDS in Croft, and Mary is believed to have married one of the Dodds boys, also in Croft – which presumes that both families lived there.

My problem is that all the Croft records would seem to be at the North Yorks Record Office, and I cannot track down the Bishop’s Transcripts, which I thought might be in Leeds. Likewise those of the nearby village of Stapleton, where I think Robert and Elizabeth lived. Is there anyone who could please spare the time to record details of Hobsons and Dodds, and indeed any of the other families mentioned? Ideally I would like to get to photograph the entire records of these two villages, as there public knowledge is long overdue; nothing is on the web!

With many thanks,

Edwin Macadam
Oxford