Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Beryl Merle Powell, born 1922 Sydney, Australia

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jan

Jan Report 23 Aug 2010 03:46

Researching my family tree, and am trying to locate Beryl Merle Powell (maiden name) or any of her relatives. Beryl was born on 13th October, 1922 at the Royal Hospital for Women, Paddington in Sydney. It's thought that she grew up around the Ultimo/Pyrmont or Balmain areas. Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks, Jan.

Cherilyn

Cherilyn Report 23 Aug 2010 04:24

Hi Jan

Since you know her birthplace and date of birth, do you also know her parents names?

Or are you only seeking living relatives?

Jan

Jan Report 23 Aug 2010 09:11

Hi Cherilyn,
Thanks for your reply...I only know Beryl's mother's name was Thelma May Powell - I don't know her father's name. It's possible that she may also have been known as Beryl Merle Webber. While researching, I thought I'd figured out that she married an Alfred George Jackson in 1942 in Newtown, New South Wales, Australia but after much checking and cross checking, I'm thinking I may be wrong as that's led to nowhere! Have checked everywhere and cannot find anything to do with her except the possible marriage. She may have passed away and therefore I would be really interested in finding any (living) relatives who I may be able to contact. Do you have any suggestions? Thankyou, Jan.

Ingrid in Oz

Ingrid in Oz Report 23 Aug 2010 11:18

Hi Jan

Found these marriages
12900/1953 CARTER PHILLIP JOHN POWELL BERYL REDFERN
707/1941 QUIRK ALLAN JOSEPH POWELL BERYL SYDNEY

These are only possibilities
Death notice for Quirk
QUIRK Allan Joseph Death notice 26APR1996 Death 81 late of Forster, formerly of Darwin and Sydney Sydney Morning Herald 01MAY1996
QUIRK Beryl Death notice 03AUG2002 Death 87 late of Manly, formerly of Forster Sydney Morning Herald 08AUG2002

Jan

Jan Report 23 Aug 2010 11:34

Hi Ingrid,
Thanks very much for your reply and suggestions. I have a feeling I've checked out the 'Quirk' marriage before, but will have another look and at the other marriage and the deaths. I can't tell you how much I appreciate any help I'm given. Jan.

Ingrid in Oz

Ingrid in Oz Report 23 Aug 2010 11:36

It's a pleasure to be able to help, let us know how you get on.
Cheers

janet

janet Report 9 Nov 2020 13:26

Hi Jan
Came across this when trying to research my dad's family tree. I am Janet Jackson daughter of Thomas Alfred Harry Jackson (who is Beryl's youngest and only surviving son). I would love to speak to you to get more information and hopefully we can fill in some gaps together! So excited!

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 9 Nov 2020 13:42

Jan is no longer a member of GR, so you will not be able to make contact