Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

NEED HELP? Here is what to do...

Page 0 + 1 of 6

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 24 May 2010 16:30

This tip is really for those who are new to these boards rather than those already experienced (Old lags?). One way that the more experienced can help however is to give this thread a nudge from time to time to help it stay towards the top of the board so more “Newbies” hopefully get to see it.

If you need some help here is how to ask for it:

1) Put the relevant individuals name, place and date into your thread title.

2) Ask politely (The word Please never goes amiss). Preferably in English not TXTSPK.

3) Within your post, clearly state exactly what it is that you are looking for.

4) Give as much detail as you can about what you already know, Name, parents/siblings, birthdate, birthplace (Including the county), any census details you may already have ect.

THE NEXT POINT IS MOST IMPORTANT:

5) Most requests on GR boards are responded to in less than 15 minutes so it is suggested that you stay online for a short while at least, as there may be a question asked. If it is not convenient to do that consider postponing asking your question until you can be available to answer any questions that may arise.

Do that simple thing and you are less likely to antagonise the army of willing helpers on these boards and are more likely to receive help both now and in the future.

6) Unlike some other sites forums you will NOT receive an email letting you know that you have had a response to your post. The only way to check is by frequently returning to the thread that you posted on Genes Reunited. To do this click on 'My Threads' on the left of the screen then click on your thread title.

7) To add to or reply to a post scroll up to the top of the page where you will see a purple button marked "Reply". Click on this, type within the box that opens up and then click "Submit"

8) Unless sensitive information is involved, respond to a question on the thread rather than by PM . This will allow all potential helpers to have all the facts.

9) Always remember to acknowledge any replies that you receive and to thank those who help you. The best way to do this is simply to add a “Thank you” message to your thread

Good luck.

Dea

Dea Report 24 May 2010 16:33

nudge nudge - Thank you Jonesey - useful info.

Dea Xxx

Mike *

Mike * Report 24 May 2010 17:37

.......and please don't start several threads about the same family... that's really annoying. No one likes duplicating research that has already been done on other posts.

Mavis

Mavis Report 24 May 2010 22:01

n

Clitheroelass

Clitheroelass Report 24 May 2010 22:03

Well put jonesey

regards

Tracy

Kiwibird

Kiwibird Report 25 May 2010 07:01

Nudge

BarbaraFromYorkshire

BarbaraFromYorkshire Report 25 May 2010 22:38

nudge for a great guy with fantastic tips
Best wishes
Barbara x

BarbaraFromYorkshire

BarbaraFromYorkshire Report 26 May 2010 00:11

n

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 May 2010 05:13

n

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 26 May 2010 09:36

n

BarbaraFromYorkshire

BarbaraFromYorkshire Report 26 May 2010 12:30

n

Mike *

Mike * Report 26 May 2010 12:58

Just a thought Jonesey
Maybe you could edit your title into capitals then it would stand out from the personal requests.

Right that my interfering done ......back under my stone now .

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 May 2010 17:45

my long-running help thread on this board does have the title in capitals

maybe 2 threads on the same topic will have an effect????

let's hope so.

BarbaraFromYorkshire

BarbaraFromYorkshire Report 26 May 2010 19:51

n

BarbaraFromYorkshire

BarbaraFromYorkshire Report 26 May 2010 23:06

n

BarbaraFromYorkshire

BarbaraFromYorkshire Report 27 May 2010 17:44

n

BarbaraFromYorkshire

BarbaraFromYorkshire Report 27 May 2010 17:44

n

BarbaraFromYorkshire

BarbaraFromYorkshire Report 28 May 2010 20:25

n

Kiwibird

Kiwibird Report 29 May 2010 00:04

n

Talanya

Talanya Report 29 May 2010 09:01

Hi there

I'd just like to apologise on behalf of us newbies...I for one am guilty of posting in diferent places, this is no excuse but I'm always unsure as to which place is going to get the best response so I post everywhere. Not any more! But in my defence...I am always EXTREMELY grateful for all the help I receive and do give thanks appropriately. You more experienced users are wonderful with all of your work, help and advice you give. Thank from all of us, I mean that most sincerely.

To the other newbies..please don't take advantage when people are trying to help.

Hope not too many feathers ruffled, sorry if I have offended anyone...NOT my intention at all.

Good luck to everyone and best regards. Let's all enjoy what we have.

Thanks again.